Army Officer's DNA Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Officer's DNA Test

My cousin has a 13 year old son by an Army Officer. The courts need a DNA test to prove that he is the biological father. I was told by a sergeant on Military.com to have the mom do a DNA test on the son by himself and send it to the Dad's local VA for a DNA test to be ran on the father without the father's awareness he is being tested for proof that he has a son. Can this really happen?
    My next question, if Medicare is paying for the boy's medical expenses when the military should be paying for them because of the father, can the father's checks be garnished by medicare for fraud?
    Please help?

The boy is 13 years old? Why is this just being handled now?

Comment

Good question, RRPayroll.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by QueenInez19 View Post
        My cousin has a 13 year old son by an Army Officer. The courts need a DNA test to prove that he is the biological father. I was told by a sergeant on Military.com to have the mom do a DNA test on the son by himself and send it to the Dad's local VA for a DNA test to be ran on the father without the father's awareness he is being tested for proof that he has a son. Can this really happen?
        My next question, if Medicare is paying for the boy's medical expenses when the military should be paying for them because of the father, can the father's checks be garnished by medicare for fraud?
        Please help?

For a DNA test to carry any legal weight there needs to be consent AND a chain of custody.

I have NO idea why you would have been told to tell Mom to do one behind the father's back.

More to the point though - has LEGAL paternity ever been established?

There is a reason for my question.

Comment

Originally posted by RRPayroll View Post
          The boy is 13 years old? Why is this just being handled now?
          My family has tried a numerous amount of times to find the father. We just found out four years ago over the internet that he was in the military. We have contacted the father's side of the family a numerous amount of times. However, they all denied that they did not know where he was. He made no attempt to contact the boy or his mother until we all found him on myspace.com and then found his military status on facebook.com and then that was when he started talking to the boy.
          He has paid child support since the boy was born but the Atlanta court ordered the mother for a DNA test because child support was not enough evidence to prove that he is the father. I went on military.com to see if they would know anything about getting a DNA test from the father. I also explained the first DNA test that the boy and his father were suppose to have the father denied to give his side. The only helpful advice they gave was to give the boy a separate DNA test and take it to the local VA of the father and the miitary can go behind the father's back and do a separte DNA test for the father. However, he still pays child support. To me none of this makes sense.

Thank GOD for the internet. That was how we found the father.
          Last edited by QueenInez19; 06-14-2011, 11:09 AM.

Comment

I don't understand. If the court is the one who has ordered the DNA test (to possibly end the child support I assume?) then why are you having to track down the father to get it? You should be responsible to provide the child's DNA sample and the father his own.

Comment

Originally posted by RRPayroll View Post
              I don't understand. If the court is the one who has ordered the DNA test (to possibly end the child support I assume?) then why are you having to track down the father to get it? You should be responsible to provide the child's DNA sample and the father his own.

To be honest, none of this makes much sense to me.

Is he paying court-ordered child support?

Because this is proof - regardless of biology - that he's the child's LEGAL father. I'm not seeing where biology is even relevant at this point...would they be asking the same if a couple adopted a child?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogmatique View Post
                To be honest, none of this makes much sense to me.

Is he paying court-ordered child support?

Because this is proof - regardless of biology - that he's the child's LEGAL father. I'm not seeing where biology is even relevant at this point...would they be asking the same if a couple adopted a child?
                The child support that he is paying was not court ordered. However, he pays through direct deposits. By him paying this way the court cannot prove if he is a random step parent paying child support or if he is a biological father paying child support. To make matters worse he is not on the boy's birth certificate because he was in TN when his son was born and the mother was in Texas. Personally, I am not the mother I am first cousins with the mother. The boy's grandmother and my mother are sisters.

In order for us to help get a lawyer we do not know where to find a military attorney. We do not even know if we need a military attorney for an issue like this or a normal family law attorney.

Comment

Originally posted by QueenInez19 View Post
                  The child support that he is paying was not court ordered. However, he pays through direct deposits. By him paying this way the court cannot prove if he is a random step parent paying child support or if he is a biological father paying child support. To make matters worse he is not on the boy's birth certificate because he was in TN when his son was born and the mother was in Texas. Personally, I am not the mother I am first cousins with the mother. The boy's grandmother and my mother are sisters.

In order for us to help get a lawyer we do not know where to find a military attorney. We do not even know if we need a military attorney for an issue like this or a normal family law attorney.

May I ask what Mom's goal actually is here?

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X