Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia

Is it considered permissable for a court to emancipate a seventeen year old female that has a bipolar disorder because the court is 'tired of seeing her'?

This is the comment the judge made when he ask her just what it was she wanted. When she said 'amancipation', he said 'it's yours!

She is unable to secure a self supporting job due to the fact that she quit school. All she can manage are fast food jobs, then loses them due to the inability to contain her temper. There have been several of these jobs and she is still only seventeen years old.

She has stayed with this one and that one until they have all refused to have any more to do with her due to her temper. This temper causes her to become violent with whomever she is around.

She refuses to take medication that was prescribed for her, saying she does not need it.

The adopted mother has washed her hands of her, but this child needs some kind of adult supervision!

Are there any suggestions? If so, please email me at [email protected] as I am checking my mail by remote.

Thank you for your time ...

Are you certain the judge granted her emancipation? Emancipation is about self support and you say shes has no job!
    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Georgia

Thank you for your response. Yes, I am sure the child has been emancipated. That was my reasoning on questioning the legality of it. She is unable to hold down a job of any kind for longer than a week or so.

I know there are probably varying degrees of the disorder, so do not know how much control she actually does have over any of this. I do know though, that she is very lax regarding her meds, hence my feeling that she needs adult supervision. Maybe she always would, or at least until she is mature enough to know she has to take them on her own.

One other thing. This is a small town in GA, with only one high school. My thoughts were that with the medications (if she were made to take them), she might go back to night school and be awarded the GED. However, have been told that she is no longer allowed in that school due to all the problems she caused while attending regular classes. Maybe that is the real reason she is no longer in school (?).

In my opinion, this is a girl that really needs help. Yet the court has simply thrown her out on the street. And she is not willing to seek help on her own as she feels she does not need it. Same with the meds. And since the woman that adopted her refuses connection anymore, what is to be done?

This woman is a coach for girls at this high school, and has been for many years. She has never been married, but adopted this child at a very early age (2-3?), along with a couple of her siblings. She accuses the girl of ruining her financially.

I am not familiar with any of the laws in Georgia that would govern this type of situation, but can see a future where this child will become whatever is needed in order to survive. The only other alternative is ... not something any of us look forward to.

Thank you once again.

Comment

What is your relationship to the girl?
        I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

So your saying this child was "legally" emancipated with this disorder and no job or real job history?
          http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Ophelia1 View Post
            Thank you for your response. Yes, I am sure the child has been emancipated. That was my reasoning on questioning the legality of it. She is unable to hold down a job of any kind for longer than a week or so.

I know there are probably varying degrees of the disorder, so do not know how much control she actually does have over any of this. I do know though, that she is very lax regarding her meds, hence my feeling that she needs adult supervision. Maybe she always would, or at least until she is mature enough to know she has to take them on her own.

One other thing. This is a small town in GA, with only one high school. My thoughts were that with the medications (if she were made to take them), she might go back to night school and be awarded the GED. However, have been told that she is no longer allowed in that school due to all the problems she caused while attending regular classes. Maybe that is the real reason she is no longer in school (?).

In my opinion, this is a girl that really needs help. Yet the court has simply thrown her out on the street. And she is not willing to seek help on her own as she feels she does not need it. Same with the meds. And since the woman that adopted her refuses connection anymore, what is to be done?

This woman is a coach for girls at this high school, and has been for many years. She has never been married, but adopted this child at a very early age (2-3?), along with a couple of her siblings. She accuses the girl of ruining her financially.

I am not familiar with any of the laws in Georgia that would govern this type of situation, but can see a future where this child will become whatever is needed in order to survive. The only other alternative is ... not something any of us look forward to.

Thank you once again.
            What county/town did this happen in?

I might be able to help if I know what town/county. If you don't want to answer publically, please sned me a PM. Just click on my user name and click on "send private message".

Comment

Georgia

I did not answer your question in the sense that you ask, and I do apologize.

I am not related to her, though have met her a few times. I have however, talked to the adopted mother and most of this comes from her. In my own analysis of the situation, the mother is well aware of the consequences the girl faces but still wants nothing to do with her. She appears to be quite bitter toward the child. As the child is toward her.

Maybe that's understandable to a great degree. I wouldn't know, having not been exposed to it myself. Yet to my knowledge, adoption means you accept any and all of a child's imperfections until they reach their majority, at least. Is this not correct?

Her peers will have nothing to do with her. As I said before, she has alienated them all by having fits of uncontrolled temper and becoming physical in ever sense of the word during that process.

Too, maybe as a defense mechanism or part of the illness it's self, she has become accomplished at falsifying the truth. However, this is word of mouth from her mother and some of her peers. I only know of one incident where I was concerned, so can say it was fabracation. No one seems to be culled out verbally.

Just as a matter of record. I am a grandmother with four grandsons and one granddaughter. So am not some silly little girl wanting to cause a problem for someone else.

Further explanation on my part. I do not live in this state, am only here visiting family and friends for a while. However, having been made aware of this situation I have become quite concerned. I simply cannot understand how a GA town can throw a child on the mercy of the world, when it is very apparent to anyone that comes in contact to see that she is NOT capable of caring for herself!

Any professional/legal thoughts/help on this??

Comment

Georgia

Morgana .. my last post was to better explain your question as to my relationship with this child.

I apologize for not directing it to you.

Comment

http://www.treatmentadvocacycenter.o...rces/index.htm

Here's one link that may help and give you direction with who to call in GA.

I am surprised that they allowed this to happen. They need to get her help.

§ 37-3-42.

(a) A peace officer may take any person to a physician within the county or an adjoining county for emergency examination by the physician, as provided in Code Section 37-3-41, or directly to an emergency receiving facility if (1) the person is committing a penal offense, and (2) the peace officer has probable cause for believing that the person is a mentally ill person requiring involuntary treatment. The peace officer need not formally tender charges against the individual prior to taking the individual to a physician or an emergency receiving facility under this Code section. The peace officer shall execute a written report detailing the circumstances under which the person was taken into custody; and this report shall be made a part of the patient´s clinical record.

Comment

Hello demartian ... than you very much for the web page. I have not visited it yet as I wanted to thank you first.

It is a terrible situation, and like yourself, I am astounded that this judge did this knowing of her illiness. As he said .. 'I am tired of seeing you here', so he has to be aware! I suppose as the adopted mother is a high school coach that also teaches health, she is more important than the child. I would call that 'politics' in full dress.

The police when called tonight said there was nothing they could do.

I had no intention of even giving the name of the town or any other information. However, after what I have witnessed tonight myself, I have no more qualms about it.

Thank you for you help.

Comment

Georgia

Hello demartian ... than you very much for the web page. I have not visited it yet as I wanted to thank you first.

It is a terrible situation, and like yourself, I am astounded that this judge did this knowing of her illiness. As he said .. 'I am tired of seeing you here', so he has to be aware! I suppose as the adopted mother is a high school coach that also teaches health, she is more important than the child. I would call that 'politics' in full dress.

The police when called tonight said there was nothing they could do.

I had no intention of even giving the name of the town or any other information. However, after what I have witnessed tonight myself, I have no more qualms about it.

Thank you for you help.

Comment

For your own protection, I removed the name information. We have seen it cause issues before.

I would call Child Protective Services in Georgia and report this incident. Because in the end, this child is now at risk of all sorts of abuse and should be required to have treatment rather than be allowed to spiral out of control.

Since she is 17, I hope they act quickly before she turns 18.

Comment

No problem not replying directly to me.
                          I was going to suggest some approaches based on your relationship to this child.
                          I'll get with Demartin and see if one of has some ideas.
                          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

To morgana and demartian ... thank you so much your responses. However,
                            a family service (DEFAC?) in this town has been called, but since the child has been 'emancipated' she is considered an adult (by them).

Would child protection agencies (if not the same as the above) be will willing to help with the emancipation in effect?

Thank you for removing the names. Being new to this forum, was relunctant anyway.

Again ... my thanks

Comment

I really dont have any other ideas at this point. If she is legally an adult (is there court documentation for that, BTW?) then there may not be anything that can be done short of someone (family?) being appointed guardian.

Sorry I cant help more. Good luck and its good that you care about this person.
                              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X