is it Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it Georgia

is it illegal for an 18 yr old to just talk with a 14 yr old over an IM service but not actually see each other?

It is not illegal per se for an 18 year old and a 14 year old to IM each other as long as they stick to conversations about school, the weather, their favorite rock bands and the Atlanta Falcons.

However, if that IMing includes anything even remotely sexual, THAT is illegal.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
      It is not illegal per se for an 18 year old and a 14 year old to IM each other as long as they stick to conversations about school, the weather, their favorite rock bands and the Atlanta Falcons.

However, if that IMing includes anything even remotely sexual, THAT is illegal.
      Just to add to this: IF the parents of the 14 year old have prohibited the 18 yo from contacting their child, the 18 year old may end up with a Restraining Order for defying the parents wishes. Adults should leave children alone.
      Please Note: My "warm and fuzzy" font is not working, therefor my posts will be direct and to the point.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated understanding.

Bay

Comment

Originally posted by runawaywalrus View Post
        is it illegal for an 18 yr old to just talk with a 14 yr old over an IM service but not actually see each other?
        It is also illegal for the 18 year old to entice the 14 year old to meet him/her. It is illegal for the 18 year old to entice the 14 year old to allow the adult to meet him/her where the child is.

Basically... you can help with algebra if the kid's parents think it is okay. Don't assume they think it is okay... ask them. Better, get it in writing. Assuming that the parents of a 14 year old are okay with her being on the internet is really dangerous.

As the parent of a 14 year old girl in Georgia... let me make this clear. If you are talking to MY little girl about anything other than English Literature, you better hope the police find you before I do. I assure you, I can track you through your IP and I will press charges.
        Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

...and that conversation about English Lit. better not include any discussion about Shakespeare's convoluted sexual symbolism, either.
          HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
          How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
          (unique up on him)
          How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
          (same way)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X