Emancipation: What Are The Qualifications Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emancipation: What Are The Qualifications Georgia

I'm only 15, but I was considering moving out of my mother's when I turn 16 in August of next year. From what I have read Georgia doesn't have any true laws pertaining to the emancipation of teens. I was wondering would if the courts would be less likely to rule in my favor if I was planning on moving in with my boyfriend who wil be 18 two months before I turn 16. I would like to say now that the reason I wish to leave my mother's house is not to be with my boyfriend, but because she is emotionally abusive toward me. I personally think that I would be eligable for emancipation because I am very responsible, I take all advance classes and have an A average in school. I would like to know what other things the court considers when deciding whether a teen should be emancipated or not.

Being a good student is not nearly enough to sway a court to grant you emancipation. You must be fully supporting yourself, able to show that you are living on your own (not with your boyfriend) and have the maturity and sense or responsibility to conduct yourself as a law abiding adult. If your parents object to emancipation, it will be denied.

No court is going to grant emancipation so that you can live with your boyfriend. I believe the total number of teens granted emancipation in GA last year was 12. Yep, 12. When you are 18, you can live wherever you want. Until then, your mother dictates where you live.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Comment

If you are being abused, report your mother to the Department of Children's Services.

I will say, however, that all teens believe their parents are verbally abusive. You will have to show a pretty compelling case.

No, telling you not to see the boyfriend you want to move in with is not verbal abuse.
      Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Originally posted by Psych09 View Post
        I'm only 15, but I was considering moving out of my mother's when I turn 16 in August of next year. From what I have read Georgia doesn't have any true laws pertaining to the emancipation of teens. I was wondering would if the courts would be less likely to rule in my favor if I was planning on moving in with my boyfriend who wil be 18 two months before I turn 16. I would like to say now that the reason I wish to leave my mother's house is not to be with my boyfriend, but because she is emotionally abusive toward me. I personally think that I would be eligable for emancipation because I am very responsible, I take all advance classes and have an A average in school. I would like to know what other things the court considers when deciding whether a teen should be emancipated or not.
        If you move in with your boyfriend then you will be charged as a runaway and your boyfriend will be charged with harboring a runaway and charges pertaining to having a relationship with a 15 year old girl.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X