Motion has been filed... Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motion has been filed... Georgia

I have an 11 yr. old son with a man who is from Ohio. I moved to GA when my son was 3. Before I moved we did establish paternity and we started the legal actions for child support to begin. Since then my son's father has done some jail time for failing to keep up with his child support payments. He has been in contact with our son off and on throughout the past nine years and this past spring he started calling him again quite frequently. I also allowed my son to travel to Ohio and visit his father for 3 wks. over this past summer. Since that visit his father has now requested to have our son's last name changed to his last name. I don't find this to be in the best interest of my son and think that his father is doing it soley for prideful purposes. Furthermore, he has filed a motion for a hearing to try and get his name changed and to increase or establish visitation rights. My question is....The court hearing has been set for 10/13/06 and I just received it on 9/25/06. I find this to be not only very inconvenient for me but highly impossible for me to make this trip to Ohio in such a short notice. I have two other children and have very limited income. So, my question is... is there any way I could get this case transferred to Georgia because my child does reside in Georgia?

Originally posted by rinagcj
    I have an 11 yr. old son with a man who is from Ohio. I moved to GA when my son was 3. Before I moved we did establish paternity and we started the legal actions for child support to begin. Since then my son's father has done some jail time for failing to keep up with his child support payments. He has been in contact with our son off and on throughout the past nine years and this past spring he started calling him again quite frequently. I also allowed my son to travel to Ohio and visit his father for 3 wks. over this past summer. Since that visit his father has now requested to have our son's last name changed to his last name. I don't find this to be in the best interest of my son and think that his father is doing it soley for prideful purposes. Furthermore, he has filed a motion for a hearing to try and get his name changed and to increase or establish visitation rights. My question is....The court hearing has been set for 10/13/06 and I just received it on 9/25/06. I find this to be not only very inconvenient for me but highly impossible for me to make this trip to Ohio in such a short notice. I have two other children and have very limited income. So, my question is... is there any way I could get this case transferred to Georgia because my child does reside in Georgia?
    Ohio has original jurisdiction and will continue to have jurisdiction because the father still lives there.

Call the court clerk to find out how to set it up for you to appear telephonically. This works real well if you don't need to be in court in person.

Comment

I have just went through alot of this with my son, but he was in jail when some of this happened so it might be different, but his son's mama got remarried and she went to the court-house and ran it in the paper for 30 days and if there was on objection(which we didn't know this at the time) and my son was not notified about it and her husband was able to adopt my grand-child and have his last name changed, and his right's was terminated at the time and he was paying child support without us even knowing. Like I said it might have been because he was in jail, but I thought he was still suppose to have been served to object if he wanted to. I thought they was suppose to ask the mother is they knowed the last address of the father and she did, but she ran it in the legal's in our county's paper and she probably had to pay, like you can do to legally have your name changed is three or four houndred dollars and run it in the paper for thirty days and it's changed. Hope this might help a little bit.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X