17 and pregnant.... please help Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 and pregnant.... please help Florida

I am 17 and about to have a baby girl in about 2 weeks. I need to know if I can move out of my parents house without permission after the baby is born while I start the process of being emancipated. I have a place to live and transportation. Right now I live with my parents and this is not a good thing. My mom is verbally abusive and threatens me with physical abuse all the time. Even at my last Drs. appt. he started threatening to slap me around the office. I get yelled and screamed at everyday for hours. The reasons why I am not allowed to move out is because she said she will not be able to claim my baby on her taxes. It is extremely stressful living here. I have to make sure the house is spotless, dinner is cooked, and kitchen is clean by the time she gets home from work. And I have to baby-sit my sisters 2 kids ages 6 and 1. And on top of that make sure my school work gets done. If all those things are not done or done to her standards I get yelled at. She even yelled at and threatened me for forgetting to boil eggs for her one day.

So is there any way that while I am in the process of being emancipated I can move out of their house without getting myself or the people I will be living with into trouble?

Also when I was 16 she kicked me out of the house because her and my dad wanted to live by themselves. Then when they found out I was pregnant (about 5 months later) she called the cops and said I was a runaway and tried to have me, the baby’s father (who is 17 also), and his mom arrested.

I called DCFS and they said that they can not prove any type of abuse mental or physical so they can not do anything.

If someone could help I would really appreciate it.

Brittney

Originally posted by Brittneykm
    I am 17 and about to have a baby girl in about 2 weeks. I need to know if I can move out of my parents house without permission after the baby is born while I start the process of being emancipated. I have a place to live and transportation. Right now I live with my parents and this is not a good thing. My mom is verbally abusive and threatens me with physical abuse all the time. Even at my last Drs. appt. he started threatening to slap me around the office. I get yelled and screamed at everyday for hours. The reasons why I am not allowed to move out is because she said she will not be able to claim my baby on her taxes. It is extremely stressful living here. I have to make sure the house is spotless, dinner is cooked, and kitchen is clean by the time she gets home from work. And I have to baby-sit my sisters 2 kids ages 6 and 1. And on top of that make sure my school work gets done. If all those things are not done or done to her standards I get yelled at. She even yelled at and threatened me for forgetting to boil eggs for her one day.

So is there any way that while I am in the process of being emancipated I can move out of their house without getting myself or the people I will be living with into trouble?

Also when I was 16 she kicked me out of the house because her and my dad wanted to live by themselves. Then when they found out I was pregnant (about 5 months later) she called the cops and said I was a runaway and tried to have me, the baby’s father (who is 17 also), and his mom arrested.

I called DCFS and they said that they can not prove any type of abuse mental or physical so they can not do anything.

If someone could help I would really appreciate it.

Brittney
    www.bostoncoop.net/lcd/emancipation/florida.html

You need to be aware that you cannot legally move out without parental consent until you are 18. Also, your parent or legal guradian will have to file the petition for emancipation for you.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by mommyof4
      www.bostoncoop.net/lcd/emancipation/florida.html

You need to be aware that you cannot legally move out without parental consent until you are 18. Also, your parent or legal guradian will have to file the petition for emancipation for you.
      However, she could go to a home for unwed mothers or any other type of emergency shelter without parental consent. I personally don't think that is a good idea for the OP because she is not in any physical danger at home and a shelter should only be the last resort, but if a teen mother feared for her safety and her child's safety, it is an option.

Comment

Originally posted by ceara
        However, she could go to a home for unwed mothers or any other type of emergency shelter without parental consent. I personally don't think that is a good idea for the OP because she is not in any physical danger at home and a shelter should only be the last resort, but if a teen mother feared for her safety and her child's safety, it is an option.
        Thank you ceara, I addressed this specifically in this girl's other thread.

Comment

Originally posted by confused232
          Thank you ceara, I addressed this specifically in this girl's other thread.
          I try to add general information, even when the OP has gotten it in a DIFFERENT thread for others that may read the thread and be in the same situation.

Comment

Originally posted by ceara
            I try to add general information, even when the OP has gotten it in a DIFFERENT thread for others that may read the thread and be in the same situation.
            Yeah. I just realized that you had answered it before I did in the other thread. I just didn't notice it so I went ahead and posted on this one.

Comment

from my understanding once you have that baby you are automatically considered emancipated from your parents so if i were you and your sure you have a place and transportation then you need to get out as soon as possible sweety.
              good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by nuyorican10302
                from my understanding once you have that baby you are automatically considered emancipated from your parents so if i were you and your sure you have a place and transportation then you need to get out as soon as possible sweety.
                good luck.

your understanding is wrong and this thread is 2 months old
                http://www.gestaltmediation.com/

Comment

Yeah, right now the baby is 6 weeks old and the problem is solved.
                  Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Originally posted by cyjeff
                    Yeah, right now the baby is 6 weeks old and the problem is solved.
                    And you know this HOW?

Comment

It's the combination of the quote from the first post "I am 17 and about to have a baby girl in about 2 weeks." and the original date of that post (6-2-2006).

Heck, the kid is almost walking.
                      Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X