X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing up my deck

I finally broke down after 15 years of wanting a deck, the time was
    finally right, so I'm building one. I decided to build it myself because
    it's a macho guy thing to do, and learned that I was badly out of shape.
    But I got a better workout building the deck than I could have at the gym.
    I'm putting the last piece of railing up, I have to build the stairs and
    then I'll be all done. The deck is 12x14 (feet for you metric dependent
    people ) so is substantial and I have an extra beam and two footers so I
    can have a herd of cows on my deck.

Looking back, it's been fun. The next deck (hah!) will be easier.

-Tony

--
    "If the grass appears to be greener on the other side of the fence, it's time
    to fertilize your lawn!"
    Want to jump start your marriage? Consider a Marriage Encounter weekend.
    Check out http://www.wwme.org for more information.

Finishing up my deck

Tony Miller wrote:
    I finally broke down after 15 years of wanting a deck, the time was finally right, so I'm building one. I decided to build it myself because it's a macho guy thing to do, and learned that I was badly out of shape. But I got a better workout building the deck than I could have at the gym. I'm putting the last piece of railing up, I have to build the stairs and then I'll be all done.
    Congratulations! It's very satisfying to work on our own homes, isn't it? I
    bet your wife is really appreciative.

Will you paint or stain/oil it?
    The deck is 12x14 (feet for you metric dependent people )
    I'm old enough to be able to use both systems. (Just don't give me a pop
    quiz about US gallons!)
    so is substantial and I have an extra beam and two footers so I can have a herd of cows on my deck. Looking back, it's been fun. The next deck (hah!) will be easier.
    A multi-story one?

Tai

Comment

Finishing up my deck

On 2005-07-12, Tai <[email protected]> wrote:
      Tony Miller wrote:
      I finally broke down after 15 years of wanting a deck, the time was finally right, so I'm building one. I decided to build it myself because it's a macho guy thing to do, and learned that I was badly out of shape. But I got a better workout building the deck than I could have at the gym. I'm putting the last piece of railing up, I have to build the stairs and then I'll be all done.
      Congratulations! It's very satisfying to work on our own homes, isn't it? I bet your wife is really appreciative. Will you paint or stain/oil it?
      Thompson's water seal (stuff that sinks into the wood and waterproofs it).
      Going to keep it natural color.
      The deck is 12x14 (feet for you metric dependent people ) I'm old enough to be able to use both systems. (Just don't give me a pop quiz about US gallons!)
      I'm ok with metrics as long as I have a calculator to convert it. Doing
      the railings, you have to do some math to figure out the spacing of the
      balusters (the vertical bars between the rails). The math would have been
      SO much easier with the metric system. Unfortunately, all of my board
      lengths and such is in the English system.

Only in the US is a "4X4" 3.5X3.5
      so is substantial and I have an extra beam and two footers so I can have a herd of cows on my deck. Looking back, it's been fun. The next deck (hah!) will be easier. A multi-story one?
      Funny you should mention that. My wife has been wanting a pool, and our
      back yard is sloped. I told her I could add on a 12 foot extension that
      the pool could rest on, and cut a gate in the one set of railing.

-Tony

--
      "If the grass appears to be greener on the other side of the fence, it's time
      to fertilize your lawn!"
      Want to jump start your marriage? Consider a Marriage Encounter weekend.
      Check out http://www.wwme.org for more information.

Comment

Finishing up my deck

Tony Miller wrote:
        I did not get the original post, but having built my own deck (15x20) 3
        years ago, I wanted to congratulate you. I grew up around tools, and was
        always fairly adept at building/fixing stuff, but I even surprised myself at
        how well my deck came out.

The hardest part, for me, was getting the cement to the back-yard, then into
        the mixer. Because of our landscaping, fence and such, I had to bring it up
        a fairly big sloped hill on a hand-truck (4 bags at a time) - maybe 100'
        total. At 80 lbs a bag (32 total), it was *quite* a workout.

I rented an auger for the holes (4'x12" - 6 of em). How deep did you have to
        put the footings - is 4' enough where you are (I know you're further upstate
        than I)

Comment

Finishing up my deck

"Tony Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
          news:[email protected]
          I finally broke down after 15 years of wanting a deck, the time was finally right, so I'm building one. I decided to build it myself because it's a macho guy thing to do, and learned that I was badly out of shape. But I got a better workout building the deck than I could have at the gym. I'm putting the last piece of railing up, I have to build the stairs and then I'll be all done. The deck is 12x14 (feet for you metric dependent people ) so is substantial and I have an extra beam and two footers so I can have a herd of cows on my deck. Looking back, it's been fun. The next deck (hah!) will be easier.
          Yippeeee! You gals have all the fun. What color is it?

Comment

Finishing up my deck

"Tai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
            Tony Miller wrote:
            Congratulations! It's very satisfying to work on our own homes, isn't it? I bet your wife is really appreciative.
            Why'd you have to bring marriage into this? This is just a chat amoung us gals.
            Will you paint or stain/oil it?
            I love oil. It's very smooth and slippery and keeps the woody very hard and
            firm. What do you like to keep your wood hard?
            The deck is 12x14 (feet for you metric dependent people )
            I'm old enough to be able to use both systems. (Just don't give me a pop quiz about US gallons!)
            Even in your culture?
            so is substantial and I have an extra beam and two footers so I can have a herd of cows on my deck. Looking back, it's been fun. The next deck (hah!) will be easier.
            A multi-story one?
            ;-) ;-)

Comment

Finishing up my deck

I finally broke down after 15 years of wanting a deck, the time was finally right, so I'm building one. I decided to build it myself because it's a macho guy thing to do, and learned that I was badly out of shape. But I got a better workout building the deck than I could have at the gym. I'm putting the last piece of railing up, I have to build the stairs and then I'll be all done. The deck is 12x14 (feet for you metric dependent people ) so is substantial and I have an extra beam and two footers so I can have a herd of cows on my deck. Looking back, it's been fun. The next deck (hah!) will be easier.
              Cool. DH is building our deck. Our last one was on the hairy edge of falling
              off. It has been described by one of his buddies as so strong we can have a
              dance party on it. I am waiting for DH to tell me when it will be done so I
              can schedule the dance party!

And may your knowledge of deck building be rusty before you have to do it
              again... Or come over our house and help finish ours!
              -Tony -- "If the grass appears to be greener on the other side of the fence, it's time to fertilize your lawn!" Want to jump start your marriage? Consider a Marriage Encounter weekend. Check out http://www.wwme.org for more information.

Comment

Finishing up my deck

I finally broke down after 15 years of wanting a deck, the time was finally right, so I'm building one. I decided to build it myself because it's a macho guy thing to do, and learned that I was badly out of shape. But I got a better workout building the deck than I could have at the gym. I'm putting the last piece of railing up, I have to build the stairs and then I'll be all done. The deck is 12x14 (feet for you metric dependent people ) so is substantial and I have an extra beam and two footers so I can have a herd of cows on my deck. Looking back, it's been fun. The next deck (hah!) will be easier. -Tony
                Curious! I just built a deck myself last weekend. Not as large as the one
                you just did and it is not attached to the house. It spans across a portion
                of the Koi pond that I added last month. We landscaped around it with
                river stones and flat wall rocks. It's now possible to actually sit over the
                smaller of the two waterfalls I built. Not bad for a girly man like me in
                one weekend. My garden is about 200 hundred yards from the parking area
                and I have to haul all the materials up from there using a wheelbarrow so
                it is a really strenuous workout. Fortunately I stay in good shape with
                weight lifting, biking and rollerbladeing at least 3 times a week.
                Your right though, it is fun. It gives us a great deal of pleasure.

Last night we had diner out in the garden. Listening to the sound of the
                water against the rocks, the many birds that are attracted to the water
                and the woods behind our house and enjoying the tranquility of
                our creation can be quite like a vacation moment.

Comment

Finishing up my deck

"jwb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                  Tony Miller wrote:> I finally broke down after 15 years of wanting a deck, the time was> finally right, so I'm building one. I decided to build it myself> because it's a macho guy thing to do, and learned that I was badly> out of shape. But I got a better workout building the deck than I> could have at the gym. I'm putting the last piece of railing up, I> have to build the stairs and then I'll be all done.
                  I did not get the original post, but having built my own deck (15x20) 3 years ago, I wanted to congratulate you. I grew up around tools, and was always fairly adept at building/fixing stuff, but I even surprised myself at how well my deck came out. The hardest part, for me, was getting the cement to the back-yard, then into the mixer. Because of our landscaping, fence and such, I had to bring it up a fairly big sloped hill on a hand-truck (4 bags at a time) - maybe 100' total. At 80 lbs a bag (32 total), it was *quite* a workout. I rented an auger for the holes (4'x12" - 6 of em). How deep did you have to put the footings - is 4' enough where you are (I know you're further upstate than I)
                  They now sell a precast footer that can be spaced to code and is
                  adjustable for any height. No digging or pouring concrete.

Comment

Finishing up my deck

"urf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                    They now sell a precast footer that can be spaced to code and is adjustable for any height. No digging or pouring concrete.
                    That's for a "floating" deck, right?

Comment

Finishing up my deck

Tony Miller <[email protected]> wrote:
                      Woo hoo! You are the man, all right. :-)

Comment

Finishing up my deck

They now sell a precast footer that can be spaced to code and is adjustable for any height. No digging or pouring concrete.
                        Right

Comment

Finishing up my deck

"jwb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                          Right
                          I thought about that, but I had visions of people tripping as they went out
                          the back door because the deck went up an inch or two

Comment

Finishing up my deck

"jwb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                            "urf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]> They now sell a precast footer that can be spaced to code and is> adjustable for any height. No digging or pouring concrete. That's for a "floating" deck, right?
                            Right
                            I thought about that, but I had visions of people tripping as they went out the back door because the deck went up an inch or two
                            I wondered too how you can keep the weight of a deck from causing some
                            "settleling" over time. It's probably just as much work to make a proper
                            base for the cement footer as it is to pour your own concrete.

Comment

Finishing up my deck

Well...

Realize that the proper foundation requires you to place
                              the cement piers/footers below the "frost" line-- so that
                              freezing happens _above_ the bottom of the footer.

Frost heaves are a real pain... in the toe, too. Some
                              roads, alas, built during the depression, didn't have a
                              deep enough base and so, for instance, the Belt Parkway
                              in Brooklyn, had concrete slabs that shifted. The road
                              now is a lot smoother as it's been re-paved.

(shakes head)

My dad's influence has apparently made deeper inroads
                              than I would have thought possible.

In any case, I guess we can say that Tony is finally
                              all decked out... and must be pretty tired.

--
                              Jack C Lipton | cupasoup at pele dot cx | http://www.asstr.org/~CupaSoup/
                              Those people most incapable (or unwilling) to see themselves as being
                              sent to Hell are those most likely to become permanent residents. - me

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X