Emancipation questions Delaware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emancipation questions Delaware

Just wondering what, exactly, DOES qualify one for legal emancipation.

Say, perhaps, verbally abusive/alcoholic parents? Not physically abusive, mind you. But a friend has been mentioning all this to me, and I was wondering what she could do to get out of this situation. Her mother is sick and consequently has awful mood swings. I've been over her house before and her mother has totally ripped her to shreds (verbally, of course).

What can she do?

Originally posted by skimchick12 View Post
    Just wondering what, exactly, DOES qualify one for legal emancipation.

Say, perhaps, verbally abusive/alcoholic parents? Not physically abusive, mind you. But a friend has been mentioning all this to me, and I was wondering what she could do to get out of this situation. Her mother is sick and consequently has awful mood swings. I've been over her house before and her mother has totally ripped her to shreds (verbally, of course).

What can she do?
    This question has been asked and answered 10x a day...click on the search function and do a search: Delaware emancipation.
    Please Note: My "warm and fuzzy" font is not working, therefor my posts will be direct and to the point.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated understanding.

Bay

Comment

I'll go Bay one better. It doesn't matter how good the reason for emancipation might be; if the child is not capable of completely supporting him or herself (and that means rent, utilities, transportation, clothes, medical care, school supplies, insurance, cell phone, internet connection, shoes, shampoo, entertainment, et. al), don't even both applying because it will be denied.

Emancipation was NEVER designed to allow children to leave home. It was designed to provide legal protections to those minors who, through no fault of their own, found themselves in a position of having to support themselves.

Emancipation is FAR more rare than most kids assume. The VAST majority of applications for emancipation will be denied. I'm talking about PERHAPS one in a thousand being approved.

Nothing you have posted suggests that your friend would be that one.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

If your friend needs help due to abuse, call the department of children's services.

If a valid claim is found, your friend will be removed from the home for her own protection. She will then be placed in foster care.

Notice that at no point did I say that she would be allowed to live on her own.

Where is dad?
        Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Thanks.

I'll pass that on to her.

Much appreciated. :]

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X