emancipated minor help Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emancipated minor help Colorado

Hi, I'm 16 and will be turning 17 in january, and am looking on information on how to become an emancipated minor. I currently hold a job, have a car of my own, attend high school with average grades (not as good as they could be because I loose motivation due to parent issues). My moms rarely home when I am because she works nights, and I'm doing things on the weekends. My step dad is an immature jerk who spends most (99%) of his time mentally/emotionally abusing me by creating horrible nicknames such as his most recent favorite "scrotum fingers". He says its all in play but he's been doing it for a good ten years. He has also done things like throw a fit because my phone died and I was driving home and my car died and it was in the middle of no where so I couldn't find a phone. I got home two hours late and tried to explain and he grabbed me and threw me around threatening to kill me until my mom got home from work. They always think I'm being bad and doing bad things when I'm doing things to set up my future career. I don't want to have child services or anything I just want to move out. I have a friend who is looking for a roomate and id probably end up spliting a place with him. I would be pretty self sufficient already (I pay for my insurance, two meals a day, and recreation) but they always take my money and my car because they need it. They also restrict my work hours beyond reason. I'm sick of living with a man who said that he would drop kick me down the stairs the last time I tried to give him a hug and tell him I loved him. My friends a police officer and has told me of times he's seen emancipated minors so I KNOW its doable. Thanks for the help.

Bubstown

Colorado does not have statutes for emancipation of a minor. Colorado does recognize the definition of "emancipated minor" in their codes, but there is no process for a minor to become emancipated.

"Implied emancipation" may be recognized but that is only after you have been living on your own and your parents can prove to the court that you are fully supporting yourself in order to deny responsibility for your financial support/legal liability.

If you are being abused, contact CPS.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Adding to above:
      Quoting Colorado Code 19-1-103. Definitions

(45) "Emancipated juvenile", as used in section 19-2-511, means a juvenile over fifteen years of age and under eighteen years of age who has, with the real or apparent assent of the juvenile's parents, demonstrated independence from the juvenile's parents in matters of care, custody, and earnings. The term may include, but shall not be limited to, any such juvenile who has the sole responsibility for the juvenile's own support, who is married, or who is in the military.

Colorado does not have a statutorily defined procedure for emancipation. It does recognize the definition of "emancipated minor." In addition if the marrige or militay service ends before 18th birthday then minor reverts back to parental care.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X