Established custody, now mom wants to move from Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Established custody, now mom wants to move from Colorado

My brother has twin 11yr old girls. He and ex were only common-law. They went through custody proceedings. They have joint with girls bouncing back and forth 2 wk/mom 1 wk/dad during school year and sharing summers and rotating holidays. Things have been working fine for many years. Mom remarried for real last May. They now want to move to Florida. Stepdad has two girls also. Their mom not in picture much. My brother does not want them to move. He has been again commonlaw for many years with a women who has two kids from her 1st marriage. Our mother and father, their grandparents are very involved with the girls and helps out quite abit with summers while dad is working during the day. My brother suggested and was granted an interviewer psych person to talk with everyone involved. Being- parents, spouses, grandparents, girls themselves. Psych women has now recomended its ok for girls to go to Florida and return on holidays and durning most of summer except for 1st wk at start and last week before school would start. And his child support would go up. I don't know who would be buying all these plane tickets. THis seems really nutty and unfair to me. Obviously they are not finding him unfit or else he would not be able to have them at all. Why is it she can move? Her husband has a job he just wants a better one in florida. Can they change why they are sueing? My brother is not perfect, but he is not unfit. Thank you for any insight.

Originally posted by worriedauntCO View Post
    My brother has twin 11yr old girls. He and ex were only common-law. They went through custody proceedings. They have joint with girls bouncing back and forth 2 wk/mom 1 wk/dad during school year and sharing summers and rotating holidays. Things have been working fine for many years. Mom remarried for real last May. They now want to move to Florida. Stepdad has two girls also. Their mom not in picture much. My brother does not want them to move. He has been again commonlaw for many years with a women who has two kids from her 1st marriage. Our mother and father, their grandparents are very involved with the girls and helps out quite abit with summers while dad is working during the day. My brother suggested and was granted an interviewer psych person to talk with everyone involved. Being- parents, spouses, grandparents, girls themselves. Psych women has now recomended its ok for girls to go to Florida and return on holidays and durning most of summer except for 1st wk at start and last week before school would start. And his child support would go up. I don't know who would be buying all these plane tickets. THis seems really nutty and unfair to me. Obviously they are not finding him unfit or else he would not be able to have them at all. Why is it she can move? Her husband has a job he just wants a better one in florida. Can they change why they are sueing? My brother is not perfect, but he is not unfit. Thank you for any insight.

It's not about your brother being fit or unfit. The evaluator, as you said, interviewed everyone involved and determined that the girls would be psychologically fine if they moved. They are not leaving their father, they will continue to have holiday and extended summer visits. Generally, the party who moves would have to pay the travelling expenses, but that will be spelled out in the final order.

Finding a better job is a good reason to move, especially if the girls will reap the benefits of that job. If their mother and the girls WANT the move, the judge will be enclined to agree.

Your question of "Can they change why they are sueing?" I am afriad I do not understand what you mean.

I also don't understand why his support is going up.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X