Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it ok for me to talk and hang out with a 20 year old in the state of Colorado? Col

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it ok for me to talk and hang out with a 20 year old in the state of Colorado? Col

I'm 17 and I'm becoming good friends with a 20 year old guy that i met on facebook. i have met him and hung out with him. If we are not dating or doing anything together will he get in trouble?
    I would hate to get him in trouble.
    Also if we decided to date would we get if trouble? Date with no sexual relations.
    Last edited by Jenni214; 04-09-2008, 08:47 PM.

I would suggest that you check your state's age of consent. Even though, you are not dating right now, it would best to know if there could be any issues. In Florida, the age of consent is 16.
    While, I do not recommend actually meeting people that you met on the internet, since you have already taken the serious risk of meeting, please be careful.
    If you are 17 and they are only 20, there is not a huge age gap there, but you are at different stages in life.
    The comments above are based solely my beliefs and experiences.

Comment

Aside from the laws on the books....

What does the REAL law, as far as you are concerned, think about this relationship? (That would be your parents ).
      HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
      How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
      (unique up on him)
      How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
      (same way)

Comment

By the way, be prepared for the rents to freak when they find out you are not only trolling for dates on the internet but have already had a meeting with someone.

That is every parent's worst nightmare.
        Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Originally posted by FriggleFrats View Post
          In Florida, the age of consent is 16.
          WRONG, wrong, wrong.

In Florida if an ADULT- age 18 or more has sex with a 16 year old, that adult can and most likely will be charged and sent to PRISON for a LONG TIME.

You need to read up on Florida's laws AND more importantly, what our state's government and prosecutors are doing to make Florida be known as the toughest state on sex offenders in the country.

Comment

Xena, I researched this. You are correct. I should have completed research prior to posting.
            As far as Colorado is concerned, it appears based on the information that I have come across, that it is LAWFUL to consent to if there is less than four years between the two. (This information can be looked up on MoralOutrage.net).
            The comments above are based solely my beliefs and experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by FriggleFrats View Post
              Xena, I researched this. You are correct. I should have completed research prior to posting.
              We've all made mistakes like that at one time or another.

I truly wish I wasn't correct. My own son is in prison because at age 18 he slept with a 16 yr old (he, and his father and I, had been told by the girl's parents that she was one month from being 18). He is now 31 yrs old and has been free only 1 1/2 years since age 18. Every time him and others like him get released, our legislator's come up with a new law that puts all of them right back into prison. Even when is was free, his name and picture was plastered all over town as a sex offender and his home was burned down. Naturally the police refused to even look into who set the fire.

I agree that true pedophiles need to be in prison, but the whole country has gone overboard on what a pedophile is. Teens who make simple mistakes, especially ones who were lied to typically are not true pedophiles.

Comment

My brother, who lives in Colorado was caught with a 15 year old girl at a hotel after they had sex when he was 18. The only reason he wasn't charged for statutory rape is because she was at the age of consent (as the police said), and they were within four years of each other. Both of those apply to you. Maybe that will help.

However, if your parents don't approve of it, they CAN file charges against the guy and he can be in serious trouble with the law. I wouldn't risk it if I were you.

He is in fact an adult while you ARE NOT, so my advice to you is to find someone else. Preferably in the real world, not through facebook, myspace, etc. Those are dangerous websites and shouldn't be used to meet someone to have a relationship with.

How do your parents feel about this man? Do they even know about him?
                Last edited by hannah92190; 11-06-2008, 07:00 PM.
                ~Early Starter~

The comments above are based solely on my beliefs and experiences.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X