Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Annulment or Divorce Colorado

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Annulment or Divorce Colorado

    Okay, first of all I feel like the dumbest female to ever walk the planet. I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent person in most instances but lately I can't seem to do anything smart. Here is my story:

    I am 28 years old. I have a 6 year old daughter from a man that I met when I was 19. She was born to the both of us in the state of Colorado. He is from Illinois. Two weeks after she was born he went back to Chicago, supposedly to work because he had a record in Colorado and couldn't find a job and we had no place to stay. Upon returning to Chicago, he never came back and never contacted me again. I of course filed for State aid and Child Support Enforcement and pretty much figured that that was that and I moved on with my life. I went to school. Got a great job and I did not bother to look for him again. This was in 2001. Around October of 2004 the two of us resumed contact, by phone and considered a reconciliation. We talked about marriage. Then the idea quickly disappeared. This was all before Illinois was able to catch up to him for child support. After that, he was picked up several times for non-payment and called me several times in an effort to get me to drop the support order in which I refused. (it wasn't like I was getting anything anyway) Now here's where I get stupid. After an absence from Colorado of six years he decided he would come visit his daughter and me. He arrived January 25, 2007. His main topic of conversation was still about dropping child support, supposedly so he could get a good job. Still I refused. Next thing I know, through a series of really dumb acts on my part, we were married on February 5, 2007. Afterwards, I find out that he had been arrested on January 22, 2007 for child support prior to his vist. He left for Chicago (again) on February 15, 2007 claiming he had to go to court to let them know that he got married. He claimed he didn't know when his court date was. Once there he said it was March 22,2007. I told him that I did not want him to stay out of state that long so he returned on March 7, 2007. He left again on March 20, 2007 for his court date. He claimed that Illinois was going to petition Colorado to drop the support order and the over $25,000 in arrears. His court date was on March 22 and hasn't returned. Nor has he made any contact with me. After talking with my child support technician I learned that they (of course) will not enforce a support order on him since we are married. I have had BIG regrets since the day we got married but I felt that since I did, I owed it to myself and to God to put forth my best effort to make this marriage work. Now I feel as though as a last resort to get child support off his back he married me and has no intentions to stay with me. (I know, I know, why did I marry him then?) I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt to see if he had changed. Now I know better. I need to know what are my rights. I know I need to protect myself and my daughter. For religious reasons I want to avoid a divorce. I also know that you have to prove some kind of statute such as duress, fraud, or unable to consummate the marriage in order to request an annullment. What can, or should I do now? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by LaEsquivar; 04-01-2007, 10:26 PM.

  • #2
    Duplicate post


    • #3
      right divorcelawyer

      Hi All,
      This is Ravi.

      This site gives us information about the Choosing a divorce lawyer is a critical and key decision you will have to make if you want to emerge from a divorce with the best outcome possible. Keep in mind that “best outcome possible” is a highly relative term.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.