No announcement yet.

Emancipation In Denver Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont intend to move till im 16, does that make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by OlderThanMyYears View Post
      I dont intend to move till im 16, does that make a difference?
      No, it does not.

Why are you having difficulty understanding that COLORADO HAS NO STATUTES FOR EMANCIPATION OF A MINOR?
      HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
      How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
      (unique up on him)
      How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
      (same way)

Comment

you didnt state that so clearly before, my bad...

Comment

read posts #2, #4, and #15.
          HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
          How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
          (unique up on him)
          How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
          (same way)

Comment

Thanks for that, I know prices have gone up but so has the pay for most jobs, can I ask you what you were working as?
            If you are asking if I was working in a low paying job, the answer is no. I was working as a professional in a job field that required me to have a college degree... and I was still that poor. Every penny I earned had to pay some bill, and every time I saved just a little something, something else came up (my car needed repairs, my grandmother died and I had to buy a plane ticket home, I needed my wisdom teeth pulled and had only partial dental insurance, I got pregnant, etc).

I know you think you are older than your years, but you are not. If you were, you would have known that that was a rude question to ask someone.

Comment

Your are right MomofBoys, that was rude of her to assume considering she has no idea what it costs to live.

I did a quick apartment search and for $409, there are 300 sq foot apartments. (Of course, this is all just a conversation since emancipation is not an option and neither is living without a guardian.)

So, let's do a quick check here...

Apartment $409

Utilities $100 minimum, we'll assume you can handle a 55 degree apartment in the winter and an 80 degree apartment in the summer.

Food $150 minimum, That's $5 a day! I dare you to fit into that budget.

Transportation: $60 a month, we'll assume there is some sort of cheap local bus service.

Health insurance: $100 a month, we'll assume this job has good benefits or paying your own health bills would be so much more than this.

I am up to $820 a month already with numbers that are far below what you will actually get on anything and I haven't even included sundries or anything else.

And the whole "going to live with a friend" thing...

The second the mom says: "I don't like (fill in this blank), please leave" then you are out on the street, which is why emancipation is not possible for people who don't have their own places.

Comment

you didnt state that so clearly before, my bad...
                Grown-ups also do not use the phrase "my bad."

Honey, you are not ready to be on your own. Getting a job is great, but don't try so hard or be in such a hurry to grow up. Your money shouldn't be used to pay rent. It should be used to buy a prom dress. Or even, after a few years, a decent used car.

Stay at your Grandma's house. Stay in school and work toward going to college. The real world will be knocking on your door soon enough.

Comment

Thanks, this is obviously a dead end conversation.
                  Last edited by OlderThanMyYears; 01-12-2007, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MomofBoys View Post
                    Our mortgage is well below what rent would be for a home the size of ours, and it takes almost half a month's pay!

If I think back to my single days, I believe the cheapest I ever paid for rent (without living in a total dump) was around $500/month for a one bedroom, and my food expenses were anywhere between $150-200 a month. I couldn't afford cable, couldn't afford long distance on my phone, couldn't afford the air in summer, and had to keep the thermostat at about 66 degrees in the winter to be able to afford the heat. I would often forget about the few bucks it took each week to go to the laundromat, and ended up wearing dirty socks, my torn-up underpants and less-than-fashionable tapered leg jeans because I had no clean clothes. Once, after paying my bills, I had $7 left over until the next paycheck came two weeks later, and I hadn't gone to the grocery store yet. And sometimes I had to walk to work because I had no gas in the car, and payday was still a week away. Oh yeah, I only had a car because my Dad co-signed for me, AND he was nice enough to pay the insurance because every time it was due I had no money. And this was SEVERAL years ago, so prices of EVERTHING have gone up quite a bit.

These are just a few of the things to consider when wanting to be emancipated.
                    very nice way of summing up the real world. where are more people like you?
                    ~Early Starter~

The comments above are based solely on my beliefs and experiences.

Comment

Hannah, please pay attention to the dates of the posts you are responding to. This one is almost two years old.
                      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

ah. Will do, my mistake. Sorry about that.
                        ~Early Starter~

The comments above are based solely on my beliefs and experiences.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                        Working...
                        X