Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado: A Couple of Quick Questions

Hey,
    I just have a few questions for the knowledgable people here. First of all, I am 17 and will be 18 come January 22, 2007. I am a CSR at Bank of the West making roughly $1400 a month, after taxings (though probably just above $1000 a month when benefits kick in). I have graduated from high school with high honors and will be attending Metro in the fall (only for its teaching program, but for graduate eduction through DU). I am also in the process of publishing my first book.

Now that you know who I am, the questions

1. Is there any way to leave my parents house?
    --My situation here is that after I came out to my family there has been a shift in the way things are run here. I have always had a full time job since I had my car, but now (I am not contributing this to me coming out, could just be a coincedence that it happened at the same time) I have become responsibile for my parents bills as well. I have always paid my own (auto, health, school, gas etc.) And in all honesty, I don't feel that it is right for parents to be dependant on one of their children so early.

2. If there is a way, besides emancipation (costs money and will likely take longer than the time I have left here anyways), what is it?

Thanks in advance,
    Ryan
    Last edited by rca12289; 11-17-2006, 06:25 PM. Reason: noticed some grammar errors.

You can't get emancipated in Colorado, so let's take that off the table.

The easiest way is to simply ask your parents permission to leave. Though you make an acceptable wage, you are not yet legally permitted to enter into contracts like leases or utilities.

You need their help.

How about a compromise and you go to a dorm.
    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Thanks for your response.

I understand that I would need help for things like that. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way saying my parents are bad, evil etc.

About the dorms. I can't move into them until I am actually a student for that year of class. That won't be until fall. By that time this will no longer be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by rca12289 View Post
        Thanks for your response.

I understand that I would need help for things like that. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way saying my parents are bad, evil etc.

About the dorms. I can't move into them until I am actually a student for that year of class. That won't be until fall. By that time this will no longer be an issue.
        I can tell you from over 30 years of experience here... It's not easy finding the right apartment in less than 2 months. With how fast time goes during the holidays and everything else, just plan to move out on Jan 22nd, you won't believe how fast that time will go.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X