19 Year old Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19 Year old Colorado

Ok I need help her. I'm 19 have been living outside the help/house of my parents since last may. I know I cannot be emancipated because I'm over past my 18th birthday, but I was wondering what I can do to seperate/become an individual. Because I know they can still declare me as an independent amoung other things until I am 21. So if anyone knows what I can do, or even just help me make a list of the things that parents can still do here until your 19 that would be appriciated. I am not familiar with CO laws regaurding my age group

If you are living on your own and supporting yourself, then YOU need to file a tax return. It's that simple. The IRS rules are in order to claim a child as a dependent, the child must not contribute 50% or more of his or her financial support and must not live with the parent 50% of the time.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Comment

Ok so basically I'm at a stand still til taxes are due?

Comment

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought you were asking about claiming you on taxes.

You are an adult. You are already legally emancipated. (You were the day you turned 18). Your parents have no legal right to control anything in your life.

Now, obviously, if you are still living at home and/or are dependent upon their financial support, then they realistically have a say in what you do, where you go, who you go with, etc. You always have the option of going your own way, but they are no longer legally responsible for supporting you.
        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
        (unique up on him)
        (same way)

Comment

Ok I understand that, I just wasn't sure if there was anything in CO laws that affected me being under 21, some states do

Comment

Okay, now I get what you are asking. The age of majority in Colorado (legal adult) is 18. The only things that you cannot do due to being under 21 are the usual things as set out by the statutes (drinkink, etc.) For all other aspects, you are a legal adult and have the right to decide where you live, where you go, who you associate with, etc.
            HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
            (unique up on him)
            (same way)

Comment

Ok thank you

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X