do step parents have rights? Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do step parents have rights? Colorado

I am a stepmother of a 4 year old boy. His father and I have won primary custody of him. He is supposed to see his mom every other weekend. We are going back to court next month to finalize everything. The problem is his father and I are having a lot of problems and I feel like I'm trapped. The only reason we have is son is because of me. I take care of him 99.9% of the time. I fear that if we split I will never see the boy again. I love him just like he was my own son. I am afraid to leave and have him go back to being with his mother who happens to be a horrible person and mother. His father has already told me he couldn't handle him if I left. Do I have any rights? What should I do? Should I ask the mother if I can adopt him? I would do anything for that child and so would my family. Her family doesn't even claim him and my husband doesn't have a family. Mine treats him like he is theirs. HELP!!!

Originally posted by iisangel View Post
    I am a stepmother of a 4 year old boy. His father and I have won primary custody of him. He is supposed to see his mom every other weekend. We are going back to court next month to finalize everything. The problem is his father and I are having a lot of problems and I feel like I'm trapped. The only reason we have is son is because of me. I take care of him 99.9% of the time. I fear that if we split I will never see the boy again. I love him just like he was my own son. I am afraid to leave and have him go back to being with his mother who happens to be a horrible person and mother. His father has already told me he couldn't handle him if I left. Do I have any rights? What should I do? Should I ask the mother if I can adopt him? I would do anything for that child and so would my family. Her family doesn't even claim him and my husband doesn't have a family. Mine treats him like he is theirs. HELP!!!
    In most situations a step parent has very few rights in regards to step children. However, there are situations where a step parent can possibly gain court ordered rights, so the best thing I can advise is for you to get a consult with a family law attorney.
    Call your state's Bar Association to get a referral, sometimes you can get a consult for a small fee.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X