Statute of limitations on spousal abuse-Arkansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statute of limitations on spousal abuse-Arkansas

What is the statute of limitations when reporting spousal abuse in Arkansas? My ex and I have been divorced for 3 years. I have physician documentation for many years prior to the divorce of him physically abusing me. I was always afraid to press charges while we were married. Now, 3 years later, he has custody of our two children and they are being abused by him and the stepmom. I am so scared for my daughters. They do not deserve this. I want to know if I can still press charges for the abuse prior to the divorce? My physician said it would help prove the abusive nature of my ex and would help in the child abuse case I have filed. DHS investigated, but since their are no marks on the children now, they say they can't do anything. Any help is appreciated.Thank you.

It would be up to the prosecutor if they prosecuted, so you can call them and present the proof, but from what you say- doubt they would prosecute it, but you never know. Also, you need to make sure you do not appear to be pursuing this because you lost custody.

Comment

Thank you

I truly appreciate your taking the time to read and reply to my post. I know all to well as to how the authorities may mistakenly take the claims of abuse as my seeking custody of my children. However, when my children(ages 11 and 14) are making tapes, writing letters, and calling abuse hotlines on their own behalf to get someone to listen to them, and the local DHS has a prior child abuse case(seperate) pending on the same parent, I would assume someone would look at the fact that wrong doing was the case and not simply a custody issue.Of course, I do want custody again of my daughters. That's a given, but I have reported abuse under the ideal that I may not even be the one whom the authorities award custody. I have been told there is a chance they would go to a foster home. While very concerned about that matter, my children's safety and well being are my first and foremost concern. I can only pray that the authorities take that into consideration.
      Again, I thank you very much for your honesty and insight on this matter. May God bless you and yours!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X