• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help me Arkansas

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    amy_shane2
    Last edited by amy_shane2; 03-09-2007, 12:26 PM. Reason: reworded it

Originally posted by amy_shane2 View Post
    I am 29. I had a child with a guy we have been through the legal ways and everything. heres the thing im married have been for 11 years my child is 13 her real father has not seen her since she was 1 .my husband wants to adopt but he wont sign.cant we do it without his perminsion since he has not seen her in 12 years
    Has he been paying child support?
    When was the last time he talked to her?

What you are going to have to do if he will not voluntarily agree is file in court to terminate his parental rights. Keep in mind that if he has been paying child support, that is considered contact and you will have to convince the judge that it is not MEANINGFUL contact and that he has abandoned and shown extreme disintrest in the child. It is not easy or inexpensive. That's your only option. Your husband cannot adopt without the father's consent, whether that be voluntarily or if his rights are legally terminated by a court.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by amy_shane2
      yes he has been paying but is 4000 or more behind and he has never talked to her
      Then you have a better chance of convincing the court that he has abandoned her. If he is not willing to agree to the adoption, you have to take him to court. If this is what you want to do, get an atty.

Have you told him that he will not have to pay support in the future if he allows her to be adopted? He will still be responsible for the arrearages, but you can "forgive" them. If you haven't broached that topic with him, it may be a very good bargaining chip.
      mommyof4
      Last edited by mommyof4; 10-09-2006, 05:33 PM.
      HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
      How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
      (unique up on him)
      How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
      (same way)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X