Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

How can a Step Mother become a legal guardian Alaska Alaska

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How can a Step Mother become a legal guardian Alaska Alaska

    My wife and I have 3 kids from my previous marriage. My exwife has agree to let my wife become the childrens legal guardian and has said she would suspend her parental rights and allow my wife to become a guardian but does not want to let her adopt them. Does anyone know what forms need to be signed by her and filed with the Alaska courts to get this guardianship?

  • #2
    If it's a voluntary guardianship, not court proceedings, then I think all you would need is a letter from your ex stating just what you said. If you do so then have it notorized, a copy for you, one for your wife, and one for your ex. Then take it down to your courthouse and have it recorded with the county clerk & recorders office.
    I am only telling you what I know has been done in Colorado, Georgia, Texas, Kansas and Iowa (re: my own family). Since it's not a legal proceeding it should be simple.
    Still wouldn't be a bad idea to talk to a lawyer, and no reason why you can't find one that for $50-$150 can advise you. My suggestion is pick an older lawyer that has a lot of experience, because they tend to see such cases as too small to waste their time in court with, but usually are willing to help those that aren't rich.

    Just a thought.
    Last edited by cactus jack; 01-04-2011, 03:49 AM.
    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
    Don't worry, be happy. is a good resource!


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.