Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trips without the kids -- should I feel guilty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trips without the kids -- should I feel guilty?

"Donna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    Hi Sheila! I'm sure you're going to get a bunch of responses from the pro-trip-without-kids perspective from the adult side, but when I was kid, my parents took one long trip a year without kids, so I can tell you what
    it
    was like from the kid side. It was great. We got to basically have a vacation of our own. We never felt abandoned. These vacations must
    have
    started early, because I can't remember a time without them. So I
    heartily
    encourage you to go, and to not spend a thought worrying about whether
    your
    kids are feeling abandoned. It never occurred to us to even consider
    that.
    When our parents went on their trip, it was just a neat quasi-vacation for us, that we really enjoyed. To answer the other questions, we're about to take our first vacation together without kids. We've taken separate vacations of about 5 days
    each,
    every year since my daughter arrived, but now that we're done with babies, and my son is nearing the 1 year mark, we're planning to dump them -- erm,
    I
    mean, allow them a delightful visit with their respective grandparents,
    that
    is -- for a cruise in the spring. And as for how long... I'd love two weeks, and the grandparental sets live in the same town, so they could simply switch kids after a week. The limiting factor is whether we can afford the cost, and whether DH can close his practice for a week.
    (<sigh>
    I know the answers, so probably we're only going for 1 week). Anyway, I don't know if any of the above will be useful to you, but I hope so. Unless your kids are actively complaining about feeling abandoned, I wouldn't even assume that it's even crossed their minds. They might be looking forward to your trip as much as you are.

"Fire Island" - Fountains of Wayne

Driving on the lawn
    Sleeping on the roof
    Drinking all the alcohol
    All the kids from school
    Will be naked in the pool
    While our parents are on Fire Island

Cranking up the tunes
    'Til the windows break
    Feeding chocolate to the dog
    Jumping on the couch
    'Til the feathers all come out

We're old enough by now
    To take care of each other
    We don't need no babysitter
    We don't need no father or mother
    We're old enough by now
    Don't worry 'bout a thing
    Don't you remember
    Last December
    When you went to Steamboat Springs?

Driving on the lawn
    Sleeping on the roof
    Drinking all the alcohol
    All the kids from school

Comment

"Donna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
      news:[email protected]
      Hi Sheila! I'm sure you're going to get a bunch of responses from the pro-trip-without-kids perspective from the adult side, but when I was kid, my parents took one long trip a year without kids, so I can tell you what
      it
      was like from the kid side. It was great. We got to basically have a vacation of our own. We never felt abandoned. These vacations must
      have
      started early, because I can't remember a time without them. So I
      heartily
      encourage you to go, and to not spend a thought worrying about whether
      your
      kids are feeling abandoned. It never occurred to us to even consider
      that.
      When our parents went on their trip, it was just a neat quasi-vacation for us, that we really enjoyed. To answer the other questions, we're about to take our first vacation together without kids. We've taken separate vacations of about 5 days
      each,
      every year since my daughter arrived, but now that we're done with babies, and my son is nearing the 1 year mark, we're planning to dump them -- erm,
      I
      mean, allow them a delightful visit with their respective grandparents,
      that
      is -- for a cruise in the spring. And as for how long... I'd love two weeks, and the grandparental sets live in the same town, so they could simply switch kids after a week. The limiting factor is whether we can afford the cost, and whether DH can close his practice for a week.
      (<sigh>
      I know the answers, so probably we're only going for 1 week). Anyway, I don't know if any of the above will be useful to you, but I hope so. Unless your kids are actively complaining about feeling abandoned, I wouldn't even assume that it's even crossed their minds. They might be looking forward to your trip as much as you are.

"Fire Island" - Fountains of Wayne

Driving on the lawn
      Sleeping on the roof
      Drinking all the alcohol
      All the kids from school

Cranking up the tunes
      'Til the windows break
      Feeding chocolate to the dog
      Jumping on the couch
      'Til the feathers all come out

We're old enough by now
      To take care of each other
      We don't need no babysitter
      We don't need no father or mother
      We're old enough by now
      Don't worry 'bout a thing
      Don't you remember
      Last December
      When you went to Steamboat Springs?

Driving on the lawn
      Sleeping on the roof
      Drinking all the alcohol
      All the kids from school

Comment

Doug Anderson wrote:
        On our two week one, the kids had a blast with the grandparents, so that encourages us to consider doing it again! Do their grandparents live close by? No, actually, and that was the scary part. We put them on a cross-continental flight by themselves at the tender ages of 8 and 9. And in the meantime we were flying somewhere else... Of course planes are very safe, but I couldn't help having a few very unpleasant and intrusive visions!
        You probably did a heap for their self image. I mean, even though
        I'm sure there were people looking after them all the time they're
        bound to have felt very "grown up" etc. Well done if you ask me.
        Hope I'm brave enough to do the same one day.

- Michaela

Comment

Doug Anderson wrote:
          On our two week one, the kids had a blast with the grandparents, so that encourages us to consider doing it again! Do their grandparents live close by? No, actually, and that was the scary part. We put them on a cross-continental flight by themselves at the tender ages of 8 and 9. And in the meantime we were flying somewhere else... Of course planes are very safe, but I couldn't help having a few very unpleasant and intrusive visions!
          You probably did a heap for their self image. I mean, even though
          I'm sure there were people looking after them all the time they're
          bound to have felt very "grown up" etc. Well done if you ask me.
          Hope I'm brave enough to do the same one day.

- Michaela

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X