• Now they are talking real money

Now the recruiter is talking about maybe increasing my current income
    by 57%, now sure if he gets it, but if he does, I think that I will
    take it. We could pay off the house in 4-5 years this way. Perhaps I
    could throw money at the time problem also, such as hiring someone to
    do lawnmowing, food shopping etc. Also, I could replace some of my
    time consuming exercise to intense exercise. They have a gym at their
    place, and instead of spending 500 cals by walking 100 minutes per
    day, I could spend 500 cals by being on an elliptical for 30 minutes.

i

Now they are talking real money

"Ignoramus20562" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    Now the recruiter is talking about maybe increasing my current income by 57%, now sure if he gets it, but if he does, I think that I will take it. We could pay off the house in 4-5 years this way. Perhaps I could throw money at the time problem also, such as hiring someone to do lawnmowing, food shopping etc. Also, I could replace some of my time consuming exercise to intense exercise. They have a gym at their place, and instead of spending 500 cals by walking 100 minutes per day, I could spend 500 cals by being on an elliptical for 30 minutes.
    From what you listed before, I still wouldn't do it.

Comment

"Ignoramus20562" <[email protected]> wrote in message
      news:[email protected]
      Now the recruiter is talking about maybe increasing my current income by 57%, now sure if he gets it, but if he does, I think that I will take it. We could pay off the house in 4-5 years this way. Perhaps I could throw money at the time problem also, such as hiring someone to do lawnmowing, food shopping etc. Also, I could replace some of my time consuming exercise to intense exercise. They have a gym at their place, and instead of spending 500 cals by walking 100 minutes per day, I could spend 500 cals by being on an elliptical for 30 minutes.
      From what you listed before, I still wouldn't do it.

Comment

Ignoramus20562 <[email protected]> wrote:
        Now the recruiter is talking about maybe increasing my current income by 57%, now sure if he gets it, but if he does, I think that I will take it. We could pay off the house in 4-5 years this way. Perhaps I could throw money at the time problem also, such as hiring someone to do lawnmowing, food shopping etc. Also, I could replace some of my time consuming exercise to intense exercise. They have a gym at their place, and instead of spending 500 cals by walking 100 minutes per day, I could spend 500 cals by being on an elliptical for 30 minutes. i
        Have you ever read The Millionaire Next Door? One of the factors they
        talk about is staying married to your first wife. Divorce is a huge
        financial set back. Think about it.

Comment

Now the recruiter is talking about maybe increasing my current income by 57%, now sure if he gets it, but if he does, I think that I will take it. We could pay off the house in 4-5 years this way. Perhaps I could throw money at the time problem also, such as hiring someone to do lawnmowing, food shopping etc. Also, I could replace some of my time consuming exercise to intense exercise. They have a gym at their place, and instead of spending 500 cals by walking 100 minutes per day, I could spend 500 cals by being on an elliptical for 30 minutes. i
          Have you ever read The Millionaire Next Door? One of the factors they
          talk about is staying married to your first wife. Divorce is a huge
          financial set back. Think about it.

Comment

In article <1gb78wc.oubmiktkdlhcN%[email protected]>, Emma Anne wrote:
            Have you ever read The Millionaire Next Door? One of the factors they talk about is staying married to your first wife. Divorce is a huge financial set back. Think about it.
            Well, yes I did read both millionnaire books. Great stuff.

I agree that staying married to my first wife (surely would not want
            to ever remarry in any case), is important for all kinds of
            reasons. At this point, I think that I will always have money to live
            on, but a divorce will be a huge blow to my son. In any case, I have a
            certain amount of confidence that my wife wants to stay married to me
            (and I know that I want to stay married to her), even if I work 50 hour
            weeks. Obviously, intentions change etc. Anyhow, the recruiter is not
            calling so perhaps I asked for too much, and that is fine with me.

i

Comment

In article <1gb78wc.oubmiktkdlhcN%[email protected]>, Emma Anne wrote:
              Have you ever read The Millionaire Next Door? One of the factors they talk about is staying married to your first wife. Divorce is a huge financial set back. Think about it.
              Well, yes I did read both millionnaire books. Great stuff.

I agree that staying married to my first wife (surely would not want
              to ever remarry in any case), is important for all kinds of
              reasons. At this point, I think that I will always have money to live
              on, but a divorce will be a huge blow to my son. In any case, I have a
              certain amount of confidence that my wife wants to stay married to me
              (and I know that I want to stay married to her), even if I work 50 hour
              weeks. Obviously, intentions change etc. Anyhow, the recruiter is not
              calling so perhaps I asked for too much, and that is fine with me.

i

Comment

Discussing a tempting job offer which will require a longer time
                investment, "Ignoramus20562 <[email protected]>" sent
                in an update:
                Before you take it, you might want to read something like _The
                Not-So-Big House_, <http://www.notsobighouse.com/>, which says sensible
                things about the drive for "bigger" while neglecting "better".

You'll make more money, but will you be doing better work?

One option you haven't mentioned is moving closer to work. I used to
                commute 42 miles each way; now I commute less than one, and usually
                walk.

It's like getting 10 extra hours of life every week, and the commute
                is a pleasure instead of a chore.

There is no way I would commute a long distance again. I know how
                horrible it is to move, but moving is eventually over. Commuting 10
                hours a week can last for years, or decades.

Darren Provine ! [email protected] ! http://www.rowan.edu/~kilroy
                "I was part of that strange race of people aptly described as spending
                their lives doing things they detest to make money they don't want to
                buy things they don't need to impress people they dislike."
                -- Emile Henry Gauvreay

Comment

Discussing a tempting job offer which will require a longer time
                  investment, "Ignoramus20562 <[email protected]>" sent
                  in an update:
                  Before you take it, you might want to read something like _The
                  Not-So-Big House_, <http://www.notsobighouse.com/>, which says sensible
                  things about the drive for "bigger" while neglecting "better".

You'll make more money, but will you be doing better work?

One option you haven't mentioned is moving closer to work. I used to
                  commute 42 miles each way; now I commute less than one, and usually
                  walk.

It's like getting 10 extra hours of life every week, and the commute
                  is a pleasure instead of a chore.

There is no way I would commute a long distance again. I know how
                  horrible it is to move, but moving is eventually over. Commuting 10
                  hours a week can last for years, or decades.

Darren Provine ! [email protected] ! http://www.rowan.edu/~kilroy
                  "I was part of that strange race of people aptly described as spending
                  their lives doing things they detest to make money they don't want to
                  buy things they don't need to impress people they dislike."
                  -- Emile Henry Gauvreay

Comment

Thanks, but the thought of moving terrifies me.

i

In article <[email protected]>, Dr Nancy's Sweetie wrote:
                    Discussing a tempting job offer which will require a longer time investment, "Ignoramus20562 <[email protected]>" sent in an update:
                    Before you take it, you might want to read something like _The Not-So-Big House_, <http://www.notsobighouse.com/>, which says sensible things about the drive for "bigger" while neglecting "better". You'll make more money, but will you be doing better work? * One option you haven't mentioned is moving closer to work. I used to commute 42 miles each way; now I commute less than one, and usually walk. It's like getting 10 extra hours of life every week, and the commute is a pleasure instead of a chore. There is no way I would commute a long distance again. I know how horrible it is to move, but moving is eventually over. Commuting 10 hours a week can last for years, or decades. Darren Provine ! [email protected] ! http://www.rowan.edu/~kilroy "I was part of that strange race of people aptly described as spending their lives doing things they detest to make money they don't want to buy things they don't need to impress people they dislike."

Comment

Thanks, but the thought of moving terrifies me.

i

In article <[email protected]>, Dr Nancy's Sweetie wrote:
                      Discussing a tempting job offer which will require a longer time investment, "Ignoramus20562 <[email protected]>" sent in an update:
                      Before you take it, you might want to read something like _The Not-So-Big House_, <http://www.notsobighouse.com/>, which says sensible things about the drive for "bigger" while neglecting "better". You'll make more money, but will you be doing better work? * One option you haven't mentioned is moving closer to work. I used to commute 42 miles each way; now I commute less than one, and usually walk. It's like getting 10 extra hours of life every week, and the commute is a pleasure instead of a chore. There is no way I would commute a long distance again. I know how horrible it is to move, but moving is eventually over. Commuting 10 hours a week can last for years, or decades. Darren Provine ! [email protected] ! http://www.rowan.edu/~kilroy "I was part of that strange race of people aptly described as spending their lives doing things they detest to make money they don't want to buy things they don't need to impress people they dislike."

Comment

>> Have you ever read The Millionaire Next Door? One of the factors they
                        talk about is staying married to your first wife. Divorce is a huge financial set back. Think about it.Well, yes I did read both millionnaire books. Great stuff.I agree that staying married to my first wife (surely would not wantto ever remarry in any case), is important for all kinds ofreasons. At this point, I think that I will always have money to liveon, but a divorce will be a huge blow to my son. In any case, I have acertain amount of confidence that my wife wants to stay married to me(and I know that I want to stay married to her), even if I work 50 hourweeks. Obviously, intentions change etc. Anyhow, the recruiter is notcalling so perhaps I asked for too much, and that is fine with me.i
                        Okay, I've stayed out of this because I really think that this is a very
                        personal choice with lots of factors only Iggie can address, BUT... when we
                        start talking about divorce as a result of a 50 hour week, I have to step in.

My husband leaves the house at 7:45 each morning. Between work and commute, he
                        typically gets home sometime between 7 and 9. We accept that our workweek is
                        limited to work (and in my case, work and child care stuff). We have a maid
                        come in every couple of weeks. We have someone else do the big annual
                        yardwork, and bought a RoboMower to do the grass cutting a couple of times a
                        week.

We've chosen this life. In exchange, we have a mountain house that we get away
                        to on weekends. We are are travelling as we wish. with DH and I heading to
                        Vegas for spring break, and the whole family going on an Alaskan cruise in
                        July. I don't have to worry if DD wants to take up the expensive sport of ice
                        skating, or if DS wants to purchase hard cover books in the series he is
                        reading.

Because we've made this choice, we accept the downsides. A fifty-hour week is
                        NOT a death toll for a marriage.

Sheila

Comment

>> Have you ever read The Millionaire Next Door? One of the factors they
                          talk about is staying married to your first wife. Divorce is a huge financial set back. Think about it.Well, yes I did read both millionnaire books. Great stuff.I agree that staying married to my first wife (surely would not wantto ever remarry in any case), is important for all kinds ofreasons. At this point, I think that I will always have money to liveon, but a divorce will be a huge blow to my son. In any case, I have acertain amount of confidence that my wife wants to stay married to me(and I know that I want to stay married to her), even if I work 50 hourweeks. Obviously, intentions change etc. Anyhow, the recruiter is notcalling so perhaps I asked for too much, and that is fine with me.i
                          Okay, I've stayed out of this because I really think that this is a very
                          personal choice with lots of factors only Iggie can address, BUT... when we
                          start talking about divorce as a result of a 50 hour week, I have to step in.

My husband leaves the house at 7:45 each morning. Between work and commute, he
                          typically gets home sometime between 7 and 9. We accept that our workweek is
                          limited to work (and in my case, work and child care stuff). We have a maid
                          come in every couple of weeks. We have someone else do the big annual
                          yardwork, and bought a RoboMower to do the grass cutting a couple of times a
                          week.

We've chosen this life. In exchange, we have a mountain house that we get away
                          to on weekends. We are are travelling as we wish. with DH and I heading to
                          Vegas for spring break, and the whole family going on an Alaskan cruise in
                          July. I don't have to worry if DD wants to take up the expensive sport of ice
                          skating, or if DS wants to purchase hard cover books in the series he is
                          reading.

Because we've made this choice, we accept the downsides. A fifty-hour week is
                          NOT a death toll for a marriage.

Sheila

Comment

> A fifty-hour week is
                            NOT a death toll for a marriage.Sheila
                            KNOLL ****it, death KNOLL. I knew that as soon as I hit the send button! ;-)

Sheila

Comment

> A fifty-hour week is
                              NOT a death toll for a marriage.Sheila
                              KNOLL ****it, death KNOLL. I knew that as soon as I hit the send button! ;-)

Sheila

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X