Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT but Interesting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jingle Bells
    replied
    OT but Interesting

    Doug Anderson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected] .net>...
    "Jayne Kulikauskas" <[email protected]> writes:
    "Doug Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:LnFfb.37981$%[email protected] []
    Worse than the fact that most citizens of the US don't know who Jean Chretien is, is that most of us don't know who Vicente Fox is either.
    Why is it worse to be ignorant about the government of Mexico than of Canada?
    It is a much larger (in population) neighbor of the United States. It is a smaller trade partner, I think, but very culturally important because of the very many recent, and not so recent, Mexican immigrants.
    Yes, but the border with Canada is much larger and they keep sending
    their cold fronts down on us ;-)

    The US and Canada are also jointly responsible for the stewardship of
    4 out of 5 of the Great Lakes. The Great Lakes basin accounts for 18%
    of the fresh water surface area in the world.

    As we learned recently, the Canadian and U.S. electric grids are
    heavily intertwined. So is the NHL.

    I think it's hard to argue which country is more important. Politics
    in both countries can significantly impact us. They are, however,
    often important for different reasons. It might also come down to
    which part of the country you live in. Politics in Mexico is probably
    more important to Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, and California than it
    is to Alaska, Washington, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin,
    Michigan, Illinois, etc, etc. Although I agree that there are a
    significant number of Mexican immigrants in many of these states too.

    Leave a comment:


  • Marcus Ulpius Traianus
    replied
    OT but Interesting

    Jayne Kulikauskas <[email protected]> wrote:
    It is probably pretty small. There is very little coverage of Mexican politics here. I don't even recall it being in the news when he was elected president, although it must have been.
    It was pretty big news, since IIRC, he's the first non-PRI president since
    the revolution.

    Leave a comment:


  • Marcus Ulpius Traianus
    replied
    OT but Interesting

    Doug Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
    Well, there is this other side of things. In terms of population, I think Canada is smaller than California.
    You're right.

    I was going to say "no, Canada can't be under 30 million" ... but while I
    was right about that (barely: the official Canadian government figure is
    about 30 million exactly) California has about 34 million rather than the 29
    million that I remembered it having... and I live there.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kendricks
    replied
    OT but Interesting

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 21:03:04 -0700, [email protected] (Marcus Ulpius
    Traianus) wrote:
    shinypenny <[email protected]> wrote:
    Where do you fall on the political compass?
    Economic Left/Right: -4.88Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.69
    The questions are obviously loaded in order to shift people into this
    quadrant.

    Everyone has an agenda...

    Leave a comment:


  • Kendricks
    replied
    OT but Interesting

    On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 16:46:10 -0400, "Jayne Kulikauskas"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    "Doug Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:LnFfb.37981$%[email protected][]
    Worse than the fact that most citizens of the US don't know who Jean Chretien is, is that most of us don't know who Vicente Fox is either.
    Why is it worse to be ignorant about the government of Mexico than ofCanada?
    Mexico is a much more important and interesting country than Canada.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kendricks
    replied
    OT but Interesting

    On 4 Oct 2003 11:14:43 -0700, [email protected] (shinypenny)
    wrote:
    Risking sounding ignorant, who is Jean Chretien? The Prime Minister of Canada. It doesn't offend Canadians when people in the US don't know that, though. We tend to think it's funny. JayneOh, I think it's sad. :-(jen
    Do you know who the mayor of Boise, Idaho is, if you don't live there?

    Both of these individuals have roughly the same relevance in world
    affairs.

    Leave a comment:


  • Doug Anderson
    replied
    OT but Interesting

    "Jayne Kulikauskas" <[email protected]> writes:
    "Doug Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:LnFfb.37981$%[email protected] []
    Worse than the fact that most citizens of the US don't know who Jean Chretien is, is that most of us don't know who Vicente Fox is either.
    Why is it worse to be ignorant about the government of Mexico than of Canada?
    It is a much larger (in population) neighbor of the United States.

    It is a smaller trade partner, I think, but very culturally important
    because of the very many recent, and not so recent, Mexican immigrants.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jayne Kulikauskas
    replied
    OT but Interesting


    "Doug Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:LnFfb.37981$%[email protected]

    []
    Worse than the fact that most citizens of the US don't know who Jean Chretien is, is that most of us don't know who Vicente Fox is either.
    Why is it worse to be ignorant about the government of Mexico than of
    Canada?
    I wonder what percentage of Canadians know who Vicente Fox is?
    It is probably pretty small. There is very little coverage of Mexican
    politics here. I don't even recall it being in the news when he was elected
    president, although it must have been.

    Jayne (Google is my friend <g>)


    Leave a comment:


  • Randy Poe
    replied
    OT but Interesting

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 01:38:54 GMT, "Bill in Co" <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    It may surprise some of you "pidgeonholers" out there to know that I have acolleague at the University that thinks I'm a "left wing, "Peoples Republic ofBoulder", "Jane Fonda type", of liberal. (It doesn't help when I bring upthe fact that I think we should have a universal health plan, like Canadadoes). And that I hate guns. And those who are destroying the environment.So don't pidgeonhole me as a right wing conservative, cause you JUST might bewrong.
    Perhaps it's best to call you socially conservative, economically
    liberal then. I'd describe myself in opposite terms. I was a
    Republican when I considered the Democrats fiscally irresponsible. Now
    that the Republicans are fiscally wacky, I'm a Democrat (that's not
    the only reason, but it's a biggie). Not to invite a flame war or
    anything.

    By the way, interesting "everything is going down the toilet" article
    in this week's New York Times Magazine (dated tomorrow, but we get it
    on Saturday). The stats for crime are WAY, WAY down in New York
    compared to the 70s. New York really was a sewer back then, with
    everything you say is wrong with society today. But all that stuff is
    on the way down.

    - Randy

    Leave a comment:


  • Randy Poe
    replied
    OT but Interesting

    On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 11:26:26 +1000, "Tai"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    Randy Poe wrote:
    On 2 Oct 2003 17:38:13 -0700, [email protected] (shinypenny) wrote:
    Where do you fall on the political compass? http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/poli...aire.pl?page=1 jen
    Cool questionnaire. A little more middle-of-the-road than other people in this thread: (-2.25, -3.49) but lower-left quadrant like everybody else. Could there be a <gasp> liberal bias in ASM? Poor Bill.
    Heh...I found it interesting that once I had my results nearly everyone else whoposted theirs were about what I'd expect, compared to mine - except yours,Randy.
    I thought I'd be out there too. There were some obvious knee-jerk
    liberal questions I was all the way out there on (like whether the
    government should subsidize public broadcasting), but there were a few
    others that I went more conservative on. I think that brought my score
    closer than the center than I suspected.
    My result did surprise me because I'm fairly conservative on manyissues and I certainly couldn't be described as a pacifist!
    Pacifism is actually a fairly difficult question for me. I am a member
    of a mostly pacifist church, which I strongly believe in, and an
    employee of a large aerospace contractor, which I also strongly
    believe in. I think that's the kind of thing that put my score where
    it is.

    - Randy

    Leave a comment:


  • Doug Anderson
    replied
    OT but Interesting

    "Jayne Kulikauskas" <[email protected]> writes:
    "shinypenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...
    "Jayne Kulikauskas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    "shinypenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om... > Tracey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>... > > Hehe...About where I figured....The same exact place > > as Jean Chretien. (Not that I ever compared myself to > > Jean, just I knew I was basically in the middle. > > > > Tracey > > Risking sounding ignorant, who is Jean Chretien? The Prime Minister of Canada. It doesn't offend Canadians when people
    in
    the US don't know that, though. We tend to think it's funny. Jayne Oh, I think it's sad. :-(
    It's one of those things where if you laugh at it you don't have to get angry or sad about it.
    Well, there is this other side of things. In terms of population, I
    think Canada is smaller than California.

    Most americans don't know who the governer of California is either
    (though I make an exception for the last few months).

    Furthermore, in terms of things like trade, California is more
    important to Canada than Canada is to the US. And yet I bet that most
    Canadians don't (normally) know who the governer of California is.

    There is a natural asymmetry when you have a very large (in population
    and economy) country next to a much smaller one. In a number of
    respects, the U.S. matters more to Canada than Canada matters to the
    U.S. I'm not saying this to condone ignorance - merely to point out
    that it isn't especially surprising.

    Worse than the fact that most citizens of the US don't know who Jean
    Chretien is, is that most of us don't know who Vicente Fox is either.
    I wonder what percentage of Canadians know who Vicente Fox is?

    Leave a comment:


  • Jayne Kulikauskas
    replied
    OT but Interesting


    "Dr Nancy's Sweetie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    "Jen shinypenny <[email protected]>" wrote in message
    Risking sounding ignorant, who is Jean Chretien?
    "Jayne Kulikauskas <[email protected]>" replied:
    The Prime Minister of Canada. It doesn't offend Canadians when people in the US don't know that, though. We tend to think it's funny.
    Thus reminding me of one of my favorite quotes: [elvis:~ 17] fortune -m 'invade South Dakota' %% (fortunes) For some reason a glaze passes over people's faces when you say "Canada". Maybe we should invade South Dakota or something. -- Sandra Gotlieb, wife of the Canadian ambassador to the U.S. [elvis:~ 18] (Of course, Canada doesn't actually *border* South Dakota, so maybe Mrs. Gotlieb needs to review her geography.)
    She couldn't very well give away the *real* attack plans, could she, eh?
    Now that I'm thinking about it, here's a story that really *needed* to be reported this way: <http://www.satirewire.com/news/feb02/warship.shtml> And, in the interest of balance: <http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/99/Sep/canada.html>
    You have a great sense of humour, Darren. Are you sure you aren't part
    Canadian?

    <g>
    Jayne


    Leave a comment:


  • Dr Nancy's Sweetie
    replied
    OT but Interesting


    "Jen shinypenny <[email protected]>" wrote in message
    Risking sounding ignorant, who is Jean Chretien?
    "Jayne Kulikauskas <[email protected]>" replied:
    The Prime Minister of Canada. It doesn't offend Canadians when people in the US don't know that, though. We tend to think it's funny.
    Thus reminding me of one of my favorite quotes:

    [elvis:~ 17] fortune -m 'invade South Dakota'
    %% (fortunes)
    For some reason a glaze passes over people's faces when you say
    "Canada". Maybe we should invade South Dakota or something.
    -- Sandra Gotlieb, wife of the Canadian ambassador to
    the U.S.
    [elvis:~ 18]

    (Of course, Canada doesn't actually *border* South Dakota, so maybe
    Mrs. Gotlieb needs to review her geography.)


    Now that I'm thinking about it, here's a story that really *needed* to
    be reported this way:

    <http://www.satirewire.com/news/feb02/warship.shtml>


    And, in the interest of balance:

    <http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/99/Sep/canada.html>


    Darren Provine ! [email protected] ! http://www.rowan.edu/~kilroy
    "The Canadian Prime Minister said Canada would lend the U.S. its full
    military support. You know what that means: both tanks." -- Jay Leno

    Leave a comment:


  • Jayne Kulikauskas
    replied
    OT but Interesting


    "shinypenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected] om...
    "Jayne Kulikauskas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    "shinypenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...
    Tracey <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hehe...About where I figured....The same exact place > as Jean Chretien. (Not that I ever compared myself to > Jean, just I knew I was basically in the middle. > > Tracey Risking sounding ignorant, who is Jean Chretien?
    The Prime Minister of Canada. It doesn't offend Canadians when people
    in
    the US don't know that, though. We tend to think it's funny. Jayne Oh, I think it's sad. :-(
    It's one of those things where if you laugh at it you don't have to get
    angry or sad about it.

    Jayne


    Leave a comment:


  • shinypenny
    replied
    OT but Interesting

    "Jayne Kulikauskas" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    "shinypenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...
    Tracey <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    Hehe...About where I figured....The same exact place as Jean Chretien. (Not that I ever compared myself to Jean, just I knew I was basically in the middle. Tracey Risking sounding ignorant, who is Jean Chretien?
    The Prime Minister of Canada. It doesn't offend Canadians when people in the US don't know that, though. We tend to think it's funny. Jayne
    Oh, I think it's sad. :-(

    jen

    Leave a comment:

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X