• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT but Interesting

Tai wrote:
    Randy Poe wrote:
    On 2 Oct 2003 17:38:13 -0700, [email protected] (shinypenny) wrote:
    Where do you fall on the political compass? http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/poli...aire.pl?page=1 jen
    Cool questionnaire. A little more middle-of-the-road than other people in this thread: (-2.25, -3.49) but lower-left quadrant like everybody else. Could there be a <gasp> liberal bias in ASM? Poor Bill.
    Heh... I found it interesting that once I had my results nearly everyone else who posted theirs were about what I'd expect, compared to mine - except yours, Randy. My result did surprise me because I'm fairly conservative on many issues and I certainly couldn't be described as a pacifist! Now I'd like to see Igor's and Jingle Bell's numbers. lol Tai
    It may surprise some of you "pidgeonholers" out there to know that I have a
    colleague at the University that thinks I'm a "left wing, "Peoples Republic of
    Boulder", "Jane Fonda type", of liberal. (It doesn't help when I bring up
    the fact that I think we should have a universal health plan, like Canada
    does). And that I hate guns. And those who are destroying the environment.

So don't pidgeonhole me as a right wing conservative, cause you JUST might be
    wrong.

Comment

OT but Interesting

"shinypenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
      news:[email protected] om...
      Where do you fall on the political compass?
      Economic Left/Right: -7.38
      Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13

Jayne

Comment

OT but Interesting

Bill in Co wrote:
        Tai wrote:
        Randy Poe wrote:
        On 2 Oct 2003 17:38:13 -0700, [email protected] (shinypenny) wrote:> Where do you fall on the political compass?>>
        http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/poli...aire.pl?page=1
        >> jen Cool questionnaire. A little more middle-of-the-road than other people in this thread: (-2.25, -3.49) but lower-left quadrant like everybody else. Could there be a <gasp> liberal bias in ASM? Poor Bill. Heh... I found it interesting that once I had my results nearly everyone else who posted theirs were about what I'd expect, compared to mine - except yours, Randy. My result did surprise me because I'm fairly conservative on many issues and I certainly couldn't be described as a pacifist! Now I'd like to see Igor's and Jingle Bell's numbers. lol Tai It may surprise some of you "pidgeonholers" out there to know that I have a colleague at the University that thinks I'm a "left wing, "Peoples Republic of Boulder", "Jane Fonda type", of liberal. (It doesn't help when I bring up the fact that I think we should have a universal health plan, like Canada does). And that I hate guns. And those who are destroying the environment. So don't pidgeonhole me as a right wing conservative, cause you JUST might be wrong.
        Why did you direct this at me, Bill? I didn't mention you at all. I was
        laughing at the idea of the liberal bas in ASM, a truism if ever there was
        one.

Tai

Comment

OT but Interesting

Tracey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
          Hehe...About where I figured....The same exact place as Jean Chretien. (Not that I ever compared myself to Jean, just I knew I was basically in the middle. Tracey
          Risking sounding ignorant, who is Jean Chretien?

I scored:

Economic Left/Right: -0.38
          Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.67

jen

Comment

OT but Interesting

Doug Anderson wrote:
            "Tai" <[email protected]> writes:
            I found it interesting that once I had my results nearly everyone else who posted theirs were about what I'd expect, compared to mine - except yours, Randy. My result did surprise me because I'm fairly conservative on many issues and I certainly couldn't be described as a pacifist! But I think it was a USan site. After all, a conservative Aussie (even one born in New Zealand) is bound to be less conservative that typical americans.
            I agree, though perhaps usenet is overrepresented by more liberal USians. Or
            it is in the newsgroups I frequent! I easily fall into the liberal category
            for social policies in this part of the world.
            But I found something odd too. I consider myself to be socially "left" since I generally think that people should do what they want as long as they don't hurt others, but economically centrist.
            I guess it *is* all relative. The economic centre line used must be far more
            to the right than I would have guessed.

Tai

Comment

OT but Interesting

[email protected] (WhansaMi) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
              I'm overlapping Nelson Mandela in the Libertarian Left :-) Your political compass Economic Left/Right: -4.00 Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.62 Cool test, Jen. Mind if I post it on another board? Sheila
              'Course not.

jen

Comment

OT but Interesting

Top Sirloin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>. ..
                "It's a sad reflection on our society that something as basic as drinking water is now a bottled, branded consumer product."

I think the person who invented bottled water was a downright genius!
                Not that I think it's superior to tap in any way. But wow, to get
                people to pay for someone else to put water into a bottle????
                Brilliant! Dare I say it.... more brilliant than Space Bags!!
                Certainly more successful.

jen

Comment

OT but Interesting

[email protected] (Marcus Ulpius Traianus) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
                  shinypenny <[email protected]> wrote:
                  Where do you fall on the political compass?
                  Economic Left/Right: -4.88 Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.69
                  Wow, looks like I have the most libertarian score on this group.

My sweetie (looking over my shoulder as usual) just remarked that
                  libertarians are gun nuts hiding out in the woods. I don't like guns.
                  I don't even like camping.

<grin>

jen

Comment

OT but Interesting

"shinypenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                    news:[email protected] om...
                    Tracey <[email protected]> wrote in message
                    news:<[email protected]>...
                    Hehe...About where I figured....The same exact place as Jean Chretien. (Not that I ever compared myself to Jean, just I knew I was basically in the middle. Tracey Risking sounding ignorant, who is Jean Chretien?
                    The Prime Minister of Canada. It doesn't offend Canadians when people in
                    the US don't know that, though. We tend to think it's funny.

Jayne

Comment

OT but Interesting

"WhansaMi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                      news:[email protected]
                      I'm overlapping Nelson Mandela in the Libertarian Left :-) Your political compass Economic Left/Right: -4.00 Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.62
                      Sheila, I'm nearly exactly in the middle, but just in the authoritarian
                      left. (Economically more liberal, socially more conservative.) Hey, that
                      puts me aside Pope John Paul II (er, but sadly also Arafat & Stalin)! ;-)~

Economic Left/Right: -0.62
                      Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.03

Jennifer

Comment

OT but Interesting

"Tai" <[email protected]> writes:
                        Doug Anderson wrote:
                        "Tai" <[email protected]> writes: I found it interesting that once I had my results nearly everyone else who posted theirs were about what I'd expect, compared to mine - except yours, Randy. My result did surprise me because I'm fairly conservative on many issues and I certainly couldn't be described as a pacifist! But I think it was a USan site. After all, a conservative Aussie (even one born in New Zealand) is bound to be less conservative that typical americans.
                        I agree, though perhaps usenet is overrepresented by more liberal USians. Or it is in the newsgroups I frequent!
                        I think it might be the newsgroups you like. Someone (maybe it is
                        Igor) is always starting threads here cross-posted to
                        misc.survivalism. Not a lot of liberal thought in that group.

I easily fall into the liberal category for social policies in this part of the world.
                        But I found something odd too. I consider myself to be socially "left" since I generally think that people should do what they want as long as they don't hurt others, but economically centrist.
                        I guess it *is* all relative. The economic centre line used must be far more to the right than I would have guessed.
                        Me too. And this in spite of the fact that I _know_ we americans
                        almost elected Bush as president, whose economic plan can be best
                        summed up as reverse Robin Hood (anyone remember Dennis Moore? Then
                        we thought it was just a joke.)

Comment

OT but Interesting

Tai wrote:
                          Bill in Co wrote:
                          Tai wrote:
                          Randy Poe wrote:> On 2 Oct 2003 17:38:13 -0700, [email protected] (shinypenny)> wrote:>>> Where do you fall on the political compass?>>>>
                          http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/poli...aire.pl?page=1
                          >>>> jen>> Cool questionnaire. A little more middle-of-the-road than other> people> in this thread: (-2.25, -3.49) but lower-left quadrant like> everybody> else. Could there be a <gasp> liberal bias in ASM? Poor Bill. Heh... I found it interesting that once I had my results nearly everyone else who posted theirs were about what I'd expect, compared to mine - except yours, Randy. My result did surprise me because I'm fairly conservative on many issues and I certainly couldn't be described as a pacifist! Now I'd like to see Igor's and Jingle Bell's numbers. lol Tai It may surprise some of you "pidgeonholers" out there to know that I have a colleague at the University that thinks I'm a "left wing, "Peoples Republic of Boulder", "Jane Fonda type", of liberal. (It doesn't help when I bring up the fact that I think we should have a universal health plan, like Canada does). And that I hate guns. And those who are destroying the environment. So don't pidgeonhole me as a right wing conservative, cause you JUST might be wrong.
                          Why did you direct this at me, Bill? I didn't mention you at all. I was laughing at the idea of the liberal bas in ASM, a truism if ever there was one. Tai
                          Did I really direct it at you Tai? I didn't think so. Sorry if you took it
                          that way.
                          Anyway, someone said Poor Bill, and I just wanted to go on record here to say
                          that I'm not the "dyed in the wool", conservative that (some) might assume.
                          That's all.

Comment

OT but Interesting

shinypenny <[email protected]> wrote:
                            Wow, looks like I have the most libertarian score on this group. My sweetie (looking over my shoulder as usual) just remarked that libertarians are gun nuts hiding out in the woods. I don't like guns. I don't even like camping.
                            The problem is that many "libertarians" in the sense of the rank and file of
                            the LPUSA really aren't all that libertarian -- too many of them are
                            socially-conservative ("authoritarian" in the view of compass) and
                            economically leftist only in the sense of "I object to taxes."

Comment

OT but Interesting

Tai wrote:
                              I found it interesting that once I had my results nearly everyone else who posted theirs were about what I'd expect, compared to mine - except yours, Randy. My result did surprise me because I'm fairly conservative on many issues and I certainly couldn't be described as a pacifist! Now I'd like to see Igor's and Jingle Bell's numbers. lol Tai
                              And then Bill wrote:
                              It may surprise some of you "pidgeonholers" out there to know that I have acolleague at the University that thinks I'm a "left wing, "Peoples RepublicofBoulder", "Jane Fonda type", of liberal. (It doesn't help when I bring upthe fact that I think we should have a universal health plan, like Canadadoes). And that I hate guns. And those who are destroying theenvironment.So don't pidgeonhole me as a right wing conservative, cause you JUST might bewrong.
                              And the Tai wrote:

Why did you direct this at me, Bill? I didn't mention you at all. I was
                              laughing at the idea of the liberal bas in ASM, a truism if ever there was
                              one.

And then Bill wrote:

Did I really direct it at you Tai? I didn't think so. Sorry if you took it
                              that way.
                              Anyway, someone said Poor Bill, and I just wanted to go on record here to say
                              that I'm not the "dyed in the wool", conservative that (some) might assume.
                              That's all.

And now Sheila write:

Bill, usually when you quote someone in your response, it appears that you are
                              directing your response to them, or in reaction to their response. My guess is
                              that your read through the entire thread, and then posted your thoughts (which
                              you began to form after your read Randy's "Poor Bill"). Because you quoted
                              her, Tai felt that you were addressing her post.

I generally find it useful, if I am addressing a point specifically in another
                              post, to go back through the thread, find the post, and reply to that one.

Sheila

Comment

OT but Interesting

WhansaMi wrote:
                                Tai wrote:
                                I found it interesting that once I had my results nearly everyone else who posted theirs were about what I'd expect, compared to mine - except yours, Randy. My result did surprise me because I'm fairly conservative on many issues and I certainly couldn't be described as a pacifist! Now I'd like to see Igor's and Jingle Bell's numbers. lol Tai
                                And then Bill wrote:
                                It may surprise some of you "pidgeonholers" out there to know that I have a colleague at the University that thinks I'm a "left wing, "Peoples Republic of Boulder", "Jane Fonda type", of liberal. (It doesn't help when I bring up the fact that I think we should have a universal health plan, like Canada does). And that I hate guns. And those who are destroying the environment. So don't pidgeonhole me as a right wing conservative, cause you JUST might
                                be
                                wrong. And the Tai wrote: Why did you direct this at me, Bill? I didn't mention you at all. I was laughing at the idea of the liberal bas in ASM, a truism if ever there was one. And then Bill wrote: Did I really direct it at you Tai? I didn't think so. Sorry if you took
                                it
                                that way. Anyway, someone said Poor Bill, and I just wanted to go on record here to say that I'm not the "dyed in the wool", conservative that (some) might assume. That's all. And now Sheila write: Bill, usually when you quote someone in your response, it appears that you are directing your response to them, or in reaction to their response. My guess is that your read through the entire thread, and then posted your thoughts (which you began to form after your read Randy's "Poor Bill"). Because you quoted her, Tai felt that you were addressing her post. I generally find it useful, if I am addressing a point specifically in
                                another
                                post, to go back through the thread, find the post, and reply to that one. Sheila
                                I'm sorry for the confusion and misunderstanding here.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                                Working...
                                X