Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does step father count as parental consent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does step father count as parental consent?

My boyfriend is 16 and we're wishing to marry. His mother would not like the idea but his stepfather would support him. I know in some states you have to have the written consent of one parent/legal guardian, would his step father be able to sign the consent forms?

If he is a legal guardian, he can. The thing is that I do not know enough about the situation to say yes or no. It could be that the stepfather may be a de facto father if the real father is dead or abandoned the child and there is no contact and there are no legal ties between bio father and child.

Comment

The father died about 8 years ago and the mother re-married. What about that then?

Comment

re:

In South Carolina, unless your stepdad filed for parental rights with the courts... He doesn't have authority to provide consent for you. He has no custodial rights. Which is why my stepdad can say whatever the heck he wants, but I don't have to listen!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X