X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 and pregnant, needs marriege without parents concent

I am 16 years old 17 in Dec.
    Me and my boyfriend (18 years old) are planning on having a child and I would like to get married.. I have asked my mother before when we got pregnant the first time (miscarriage) and she said no but that was within reason considering I was 13
    I do not know what her reasoning would be for it now but she hates my boyfriend and I know if I asked her if I could get married she will refuse to sign the papers.. After I have this child or even just being pregnant, is there a way I can married with out her concent?
    I have also considered Emancipation but cannot find any information on it.
    If you can help or have any advice I would appreciate it..

Thanks, Tired of being Grounded

Originally posted by r_defined
    I am 16 years old 17 in Dec.
    Me and my boyfriend (18 years old) are planning on having a child and I would like to get married.. I have asked my mother before when we got pregnant the first time (miscarriage) and she said no but that was within reason considering I was 13
    I do not know what her reasoning would be for it now but she hates my boyfriend and I know if I asked her if I could get married she will refuse to sign the papers.. After I have this child or even just being pregnant, is there a way I can married with out her concent?
    I have also considered Emancipation but cannot find any information on it.
    If you can help or have any advice I would appreciate it..

Thanks, Tired of being Grounded

Pregnant or not, you’d need parental consent in order to marry.

Since you asked for advice….grow up, finish school, and become financially stable before you start having children. That may not be advice that you like, but there it is anyway

Comment

I know that when I ask for advice I would more than likely get that. And that's fine.

I appreciate your reply.

Thanks,

Comment

One more question. If I was Emancipated would I be able to get married without parents consent?

Comment

One more question. If I was Emancipated would I be able to get married without parents consent?
          Last time I checked, being grounded was not a valid reason to grant a child emancipation.

Comment

The only legal statutes in Utah for emancipation is the "lost boys bill". It was designed for the boys and girl that were homeless because they escaped or were kicked out of their community and had no way to get med. care, housing, and education. It is not going to help you as you have a fit parent that you live with. You are not in need of legal intervention to make those things available to you.
            HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
            How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
            (unique up on him)
            How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
            (same way)

Comment

First of All mine being grounded for a week has nothing to do with getting Emancipated. I want to get Emancipated so I can get married and move out.
              I know how my mom reacts to mine being pregnant.
              and I am not getting pregnant to spite my mother nor would I do it just to move out of the house and have an excuse to get married. I would be getting married either way. and I know that I could wait to have a child it's just that his daughter is already two and a half and we want her to have siblings. We also want to gain cusdtody of her and we know that if we were married and had a stable envoirnment for her that would make it much easier instead of going to court saying that we have a child together and live together so we should be able to have her live with us. I know that wouldn't do it.

I'm not going to sit here and say that just because I love him is an excuse to have a child and get married because yes that is a big part of our wanting a family and to get married we also understand the financial commitment of it all. I don't just think I can have a kid and that will make everything thing else fall in to place, that is why I'm asking regarding the laws to see if I can get married before we even have this child that way we can be financially stable.

Thank you for your advice. I know that I may seem like all the other iggnorant teen mothers but I'm not. I have worked long and hard to get myself at a better place in life and I am there. I got the job I have on my own and it's a great job. I am the one paying for my collage and I get my good grades. I do know that it isn't very responsible in your eyes that I get pregnant at such a young age but that is also my choice, if I can make this family work than why not do it now.

Comment

First of All mine being grounded for a week has nothing to do with getting Emancipated. I want to get Emancipated so I can get married and move out.
                I know how my mom reacts to mine being pregnant.
                and I am not getting pregnant to spite my mother nor would I do it just to move out of the house and have an excuse to get married. I would be getting married either way. and I know that I could wait to have a child it's just that his daughter is already two and a half and we want her to have siblings. We also want to gain cusdtody of her and we know that if we were married and had a stable envoirnment for her that would make it much easier instead of going to court saying that we have a child together and live together so we should be able to have her live with us. I know that wouldn't do it.

I'm not going to sit here and say that just because I love him is an excuse to have a child and get married because yes that is a big part of our wanting a family and to get married we also understand the financial commitment of it all. I don't just think I can have a kid and that will make everything thing else fall in to place, that is why I'm asking regarding the laws to see if I can get married before we even have this child that way we can be financially stable.

Thank you for your advice. I know that I may seem like all the other iggnorant teen mothers but I'm not. I have worked long and hard to get myself at a better place in life and I am there. I got the job I have on my own and it's a great job. I am the one paying for my collage and I get my good grades. I do know that it isn't very responsible in your eyes that I get pregnant at such a young age but that is also my choice, if I can make this family work than why not do it now.
                Well, as far as getting custody of the other child, it will not be a point in his favor that he got an underage girl pregnant. Nor will your marrying him give him any more of a reason to gain custody. He would have to prove that the mother is unfit to raise her child. His marrying a girl and getting her pregnant to try to create the illusion of a ready made family is not going to help him one bit. All it will do is add yet another child to financially support. If you are going to college, why would you waste that opportunity to have a baby and marry a guy that already HAS huge issues to deal with. If you are so mature and you are so smart, you should seriously take some time to consider everything AGAIN. Until you have a child, you have NO idea the amount of time, money, and energy that child will require. And THAT is if the child is healthy. Even a baby with severe allergies is financially difficult. HELLO, doctor bills??? Or were you planning on using state financial assistance? If so, you have just demonstrated why you are nowhere near ready to be responsible for a child. Your question has been answered multiple times, now. Use the information you have been given.
                HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                (unique up on him)
                (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by mommyof4
                  Well, as far as getting custody of the other child, it will not be a point in his favor that he got an underage girl pregnant. Nor will your marrying him give him any more of a reason to gain custody. He would have to prove that the mother is unfit to raise her child. His marrying a girl and getting her pregnant to try to create the illusion of a ready made family is not going to help him one bit. All it will do is add yet another child to financially support. If you are going to college, why would you waste that opportunity to have a baby and marry a guy that already HAS huge issues to deal with. If you are so mature and you are so smart, you should seriously take some time to consider everything AGAIN. Until you have a child, you have NO idea the amount of time, money, and energy that child will require. And THAT is if the child is healthy. Even a baby with severe allergies is financially difficult. HELLO, doctor bills??? Or were you planning on using state financial assistance? If so, you have just demonstrated why you are nowhere near ready to be responsible for a child. Your question has been answered multiple times, now. Use the information you have been given.
                  Go read her other thread. This girl is off her meds (seriously!)

Comment

Originally posted by ceara
                    Go read her other thread. This girl is off her meds (seriously!)
                    I know. I answered another one and then after answering THIS one, decided that she was not going to accept anything that did not match exactly what she wants to hear. I decided her posts were a waste of everybody's time.
                    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                    (unique up on him)
                    (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by mommyof4
                      I know. I answered another one and then after answering THIS one, decided that she was not going to accept anything that did not match exactly what she wants to hear. I decided her posts were a waste of everybody's time.
                      And until mommy ungrounds her, I'm sure she will be here giving out incorrect information for everyone else to correct!

Comment

I understand that you guys are giving your own time to help answer these questions.
                        I didn't see anything that said only you two could post on other peoples posts.
                        I did not mean to interrupt your posts, I was simply letting her know from someones point of view who has seen her situation. I know that just because you guys are adults makes you know everything but it doesn't. I don't know everything myself. All I was trying to do was help her relate with someone who has had similar experiences as her daugher.

You have no place to put judgement. I didn't ask for you to sit and place judgement on me, I asked for legal advice.
                        Did you honesly think that telling her to send to daughter to boarding school was a good idea.. it doesn't help us in the least bit. It will just make her daugher rebel against her even more.
                        It seems as if her whole goal was to NOT loose her daughter.

You can give all the advice you want. and best of luck with that.
                        I guess the place I need to be is blogging with other people in my situation.. I shouldn't have gotten personal with this site, I only meant to get my legal information in a straight.

Comment

OKAY- then I'll jump in...

r_defined... You are ridiculous. You ARE an ignorant teen. WHY oh WHY do you think you want to have a child at your age, you are a child yourself. It is absolutely amazing what kids these days think they are capable of doing.

I am not getting pregnant to spite my mother nor would I do it just to move out of the house and have an excuse to get married.
                          No one said you were doing this to spite your mother, but the fact that you bring this up... it sure sounds like that is the reason.
                          Please re-think everything you 'want'. It sounds like you want a reason to get out of your house and this is a bit of a stretch.

p.s. is the "gas company profit since 2003 till now" ticker driving anyone else ABSOLUTELY CRAZY?
                          Mlyjo632
                          Last edited by Mlyjo632; 06-05-2006, 01:28 PM. Reason: ticker annoyance

Comment

Originally posted by Mlyjo632
                            OKAY- then I'll jump in...

r_defined... You are ridiculous. You ARE an ignorant teen. WHY oh WHY do you think you want to have a child at your age, you are a child yourself. It is absolutely amazing what kids these days think they are capable of doing.

No one said you were doing this to spite your mother, but the fact that you bring this up... it sure sounds like that is the reason.
                            Please re-think everything you 'want'. It sounds like you want a reason to get out of your house and this is a bit of a stretch.

p.s. is the "gas company profit since 2003 till now" ticker driving anyone else ABSOLUTELY CRAZY?
                            The ticker is driving me bonkers. I keep getting distracted by the constantly running numbers! Glad it is not just me.
                            HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                            (unique up on him)
                            (same way)

Comment

I understand that you guys are giving your own time to help answer these questions.
                              I did not mean to interrupt your posts, I was simply letting her know from someones point of view who has seen her situation. I know that just because you guys are adults makes you know everything but it doesn't. I don't know everything myself. All I was trying to do was help her relate with someone who has had similar experiences as her daugher.

You have no place to put judgement. I didn't ask for you to sit and place judgement on me, I asked for legal advice.
                              Did you honesly think that telling her to send to daughter to boarding school was a good idea.. it doesn't help us in the least bit. It will just make her daugher rebel against her even more.
                              It seems as if her whole goal was to NOT loose her daughter.

You can give all the advice you want. and best of luck with that.
                              I guess the place I need to be is blogging with other people in my situation.. I shouldn't have gotten personal with this site, I only meant to get my legal information in a straight.
                              One, you are NOT in the same situation as Danceislife. (other thread) Two, I answered her questions AFTER researching the laws and statutes of Utah. I know her situation, and was actually hoping to find something to help her. Like you, the "lost boy bill" was not applicable to her situation. If you would actually read the bill, instead of skimming for the words you want to read, you will see that the info I gave you is exactly the correct info taken directly from the statutes and the bill. Just because you don't like the answers doesn't mean they are not correct. With your history (and I am not being mean, just pointing out reality to you) even if there was a statute to allow for emancipation for minors in general, you would STILL not be an ideal candidate. How are you planning on paying for those medications you must take? State aid? Guess what, in states that allow it, a minor must show that they are completely capable of supporting themselves including, but not necessarily limited to housing, food, utilities, insurance, MEDICAL EXPENSES, etc. When you are 18, you are free to live anywhere you want. Until then, you live with your mother.
                              HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                              (unique up on him)
                              (same way)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X