This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emacipated in Missouri Missouri

My name is Kirstin (last name) and I am a tenth grade student in Missouri. I live with my father and my grandma. My grandma has stage five Alzheimer’s and sundowner’s disease, which causes confusion after “sundown.” My dad and I have lived with my grandma since I was an infant. My father works at least fifty hours a week, but doesn’t spend his paychecks on necessities for my grandmother and myself.

My grandma is constantly sick and my dad is never home. Our fridge is constantly empty. The three of us are always arguing and it has really taken a toll on me both mentally and physically. I’m on two anti-depressants and sleeping medication for night terrors.

I want to move in with family friends in Paducah, Kentucky. They are so good to me and they treat me the way I deserve. They check up on me daily and always make sure I’m doing well in school. They have offered multiple times to take me in and they say they would do anything to get me out of my father’s custody. Lisa, the mother, works for the Kentucky government as a secretary for Child Services. She wants more than anything to get custody of me.

I am willing to do nearly anything to move out of my dad’s and into somewhere that I know I will have a future. I don’t have a hate for my dad but I know I could do so much better in a home where people express their love for me. When I’m with them, I’m in a much better mood overall and I try harder to work for goals I want to achieve. I strive for a better future; I want to finish high school and go to college to me a registered nurse and work in a rural hospital.

I do not know too much about the emancipation laws in Missouri, or what I would have to do to move to Kentucky legally. I have looked online and I know you must be seventeen, but I was wondering if there’s any way to move out at sixteen. I really want a better future and I don’t see myself having a one under my dad’s custody. Living with my mother is not an option for many reasons, including expenses and family problems. Please respond with your opinion on my options. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Kirstin
    Betty3
    Last edited by Betty3; 01-28-2012, 05:42 PM. Reason: remove last name from post

Emancipation is about "self" support. what you describe (if your state has a staute) is not self support
    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Quoting Missouri Emancipation Law
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Missouri, a minor may be emancipated in one of three ways:
      1) your parents may give express consent to a court that they are waiving their parental rights;

2) your parents may give implied consent, which would apply in situations where you have been living on your own, supporting yourself, and for all practical purposes your parents have relinquished their parental rights; and

3) you experience a significant change in your societal status-such as an enlistment in the military or marriage.
      Emancipation requires the ruling of a judge.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Kirstin, it seems as if you probably used your real first & last names. I removed your last name from your post.

However, I will not/cannot remove it from your user name (profile/forum name) which you choose. You might want to consider removing it & just using your first name. It's for your protection due to trolls, etc. that frequent the forum. If you need help, you might use contact us at the bottom of the page & see if administration can help you change it.

Betty3
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Credit to Morgana for catching the above & sending me a PM.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X