Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

16 In Delaware

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 In Delaware

    I am currently living in Delaware.

    I am 16 and I would like more information to see if emancipation is a good idea for me. My boyfriend is 21 and my mother absolutely loves him, we get along great and have been dating for a while.

    He has a house and can support himself, I am looking to move in with him, I understand that most judges will not grant emancipation if you can not support yourself. I make about $2,000 a month, so I could if I needed to.

    My mother fully supports our relationship. I just don't want him to get in trouble for being around me.

    Is emancipation a good idea or should I be looking into something else?

  • #2
    There is not a judge in the world who will emancipate a 16 year old so that she can move in with her 21 year old boyfriend, no matter how much she makes or how much her mother likes the idea. Don't even go there. It will never, ever happen.

    And I know you don't want to hear this and won't believe me, but there is something wrong with a 21 year old man who is interested in a 16 year old child.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    • #3
      To add to cbg:
      Emancipation is intended for a person who is self supporting.
      That means living alone and working to earn a sufficient amount of money to support yourself without assistance from anyone.
      Living with your boyfriend is not self supporting.
      I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
      Thomas Jefferson


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.