This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need out. Colorado

I'm a 15 year old female living in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
    I go to school of course, soon switching schools so I can graduate early.
    I live currently with my Father since half way through 6th grade (in 10th grade now) and he hits me quite a bit and threatens to kill me over stupid stuff like being at school. I'm done dealing with it. What are the requirements for being emancipated in Colorado? Or anything I need to know?

What you need to know is that CO does not have an emancipation statute.

If you are being physically abused you need to call CPS. But emancipation is not an option.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
      What you need to know is that CO does not have an emancipation statute.

If you are being physically abused you need to call CPS. But emancipation is not an option.
      I'm sure there is one.
      My friend Amber had it done two weeks ago.
      Alone with a dude I know, Kevin, had it done when he was 14.

Comment

No there isn't, your friends either fibbed or had permission to move out.

And if your friend just recently got emancipated why don't you ask them how they did it?
        Last edited by FlyinHawk; 10-17-2008, 11:36 AM.

Comment

They are lying.

I just reviewed the statutes. There isn't one.

Further, no state in the union that HAS an emancipation statute allows a minor under 16 years old to be emancipated.

Are your friends living on their own? I am not talking that they sleep over at someone's house all the time or spend the weekend in the treehouse out behind mom and dad's... I am talking - do they have their OWN apartment/house?

Of course they don't... or they wouldn't still be going to the same school.

You want to be emancipated, but you can't even think this through.
          Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Actually, CA will in extremely rare circumstances emancipate a 14 year old, and I believe it is LA that will occasionally consider it for a 15 year old, but other than that, yes, 16 is the floor.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I know this thread is kind of old but there IS a way out in colorado. The statute is very murkey on it stating you must be older than 15 and under 18. That's all the info the statute gives. I'm a cadet (minor who tags along and helps out) with a division of the police and I've seen it done. There's no court or anything. When you turn 17 you can move out as a minor but to get adult rights you must prove your independent to the court with 3 months of pay stubs, copies of the bills for those months, and prove you have enough left over for food. Another way is to be released by your parents. The state will also release you if its to protect your financial gains (ie, you make enough money to support yourself but your parents are taking it away). I dug up this info from talking to a few emancipated minors in colorado springs. I myself am trying to get emancipated but my work is dumb and gives sporadic hours. And if anyone has any better info on this please post it to my thread asking for details on emancipation in the specific colorado family law section. And I just found out all this info now so that threads a little out dated lol.
              Last edited by bubstown288; 11-16-2009, 09:33 PM.

Comment

bubstown, please do not post to old threads - thanks.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X