This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing emancipation in Florida at 16

I'm currently 15 in Florida, and I've been reading about emancipation since I was about 13. I know most of the laws about emancipation in Florida already.

I'm currently taking FLVS[an online school in Florida] in the 10th grade. It's hard to get a job in Florida at 15, but there are several places I know that could hire me so I plan on looking around for a job soon so I can save up some money before I turn 16. It would be easy for me to work because I do not go to highschool every day, my online school allows me to do my work whenever I need to. Thus I would be allowed to work my job and do my school all together.

I would like to move out of Florida once I save up enough.

Now onto the reasons why I would like to be emancipated and the matter of my parents supporting it.

I love my parents, especially my mom. She works very hard to support our family and does most of the work. This is the problem. She's co-defendant and will not leave my father, who does absolutely nothing for this family. All my friends can see that she's very weak in the matter of relationships and I find it in my best interest for myself as a young person and my health for me to leave. Every day it's a different fight, whether about money or just them arguing. I can't take it, it is mentally and physically wearing me down. I think if I was given the chance to get out there and support myself, I would be a much healthier person. I think my mother wouldn't be so worn down as well.

I'm a pretty responsible minor, I've been looking around for a job since I was 15. I'm sure if I worked long enough, by the time I'm 16 or even a little bit after that, I would start getting enough to be able to support myself.

So, my plan is to start working soon, continue my highschool online, and save up enough until I'm legally able to try to be emancipated. My parents have agreed to have me emancipated when I am legally ready, and I would be able to find a nice little place that I would be able to pay rent for, continue school and continue my job.

Advice or comments or anything would be much appreciated. I just thought I would write that all out and see if anyone had any comments on my case.
    Thanks.

Originally posted by Tara_PLUR View Post
    I'm currently 15 in Florida, and I've been reading about emancipation since I was about 13. I know most of the laws about emancipation in Florida already.

I'm currently taking FLVS[an online school in Florida] in the 10th grade. It's hard to get a job in Florida at 15, but there are several places I know that could hire me so I plan on looking around for a job soon so I can save up some money before I turn 16. It would be easy for me to work because I do not go to highschool every day, my online school allows me to do my work whenever I need to. Thus I would be allowed to work my job and do my school all together.

I would like to move out of Florida once I save up enough.

Now onto the reasons why I would like to be emancipated and the matter of my parents supporting it.

I love my parents, especially my mom. She works very hard to support our family and does most of the work. This is the problem. She's co-defendant and will not leave my father, who does absolutely nothing for this family. All my friends can see that she's very weak in the matter of relationships and I find it in my best interest for myself as a young person and my health for me to leave. Every day it's a different fight, whether about money or just them arguing. I can't take it, it is mentally and physically wearing me down. I think if I was given the chance to get out there and support myself, I would be a much healthier person. I think my mother wouldn't be so worn down as well.

I'm a pretty responsible minor, I've been looking around for a job since I was 15. I'm sure if I worked long enough, by the time I'm 16 or even a little bit after that, I would start getting enough to be able to support myself.

So, my plan is to start working soon, continue my highschool online, and save up enough until I'm legally able to try to be emancipated. My parents have agreed to have me emancipated when I am legally ready, and I would be able to find a nice little place that I would be able to pay rent for, continue school and continue my job.

Advice or comments or anything would be much appreciated. I just thought I would write that all out and see if anyone had any comments on my case.
    Thanks.
    Are BOTH of your parents willing to file the petition when you are ready?

Alot of emancipation petitions are filed every year, but only 1 or 2 legal emancipations are ordered each year.

You'll need to have a job that will pay enough for you to be able to FULLY support yourself, without any help from anyone else. This means that you'll have to prove to the court that you can:

pay full rent
    pay all utilities
    pay for transportation (car, insurance, tags, car payments, regular maintainence, repairs, etc)
    pay for all food
    pay all medical bills (including medications)
    pay for your clothes
    pay for all other needs

That is not real easy to do, you'll need a very good job because the court will not emancipate anyone who cannot fully support themselves.

Comment

To add to that if you do your HS online you will need to figure in a plan to purchase a computer, and obtain and maintain Internet Connection.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyinHawk View Post
        To add to that if you do your HS online you will need to figure in a plan to purchase a computer, and obtain and maintain Internet Connection.
        Good point, I hadn't thought of that expense.

Comment

Originally posted by xena View Post
          Are BOTH of your parents willing to file the petition when you are ready?

Alot of emancipation petitions are filed every year, but only 1 or 2 legal emancipations are ordered each year.

You'll need to have a job that will pay enough for you to be able to FULLY support yourself, without any help from anyone else. This means that you'll have to prove to the court that you can:

pay full rent
          pay all utilities
          pay for transportation (car, insurance, tags, car payments, regular maintainence, repairs, etc)
          pay for all food
          pay all medical bills (including medications)
          pay for your clothes
          pay for all other needs

That is not real easy to do, you'll need a very good job because the court will not emancipate anyone who cannot fully support themselves.
          Yes they are.
          I understand all of that, I understand how difficult it will be. Maybe I'll look around for jobs first after I turn 16 and then see where that goes, so many more places hire at 16.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyinHawk View Post
            I do own my own laptop . But good point about maintaining internet connection. (:

Comment

Oh, I just came up with a question, hopefully someone can fill me in.

If you're able to show the judge that you can support yourself alone, and you're emancipated, are you aloud to room with people AFTER your emancipated? I mean, actually paying rent to live there with them.

Comment

What part of "self" support did you miss?
                http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

While it depends on the Judge's discretion they may or may not allow you to room with others but either way you will have to prove that you can support yourself 100% should the roommate vacate on their end of the deal.

While you feel you may be able to obtain more jobs once you hit the age of 16 you also must keep in mind that if this is also going to be the first of jobs you're able to list as "experience" you cannot expect your pay to be anything more than Min. Wage; and you cannot support yourself on Min. Wage enough to satisfy a court.

Most cases a Judge wants to see you have been already living separately from your parents. Going before a Judge with a Job is a huge requirement but so is understanding and knowing your budget, if you haven't ever lived on your own telling the Judge "Yes, I understand" isn't going to cut it.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X