This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emancipation... friend being abused Missouri

Now i keep hearing that missouri does not have the emancipation option anymore... is this true... i hope to god it's not. I have a friend and she's 16, she lives with her parents. Her parents are both Meth users and her mother mental, emotionaly and physicaly abuses her... and it's much much worse when she's drunk. My friend has already been in foster care once. I'm looking for advice on the emancipation law or some advice for something else i could do to help... i refuse to see her put back into foster care, it ruined her when she went the first time.

In Missouri, a minor may be emancipated in one of three ways:
    1) your parents may give express consent to a court that they are waiving their parental rights;

2) your parents may give implied consent, which would apply in situations where you have been living on your own, supporting yourself, and for all practical purposes your parents have relinquished their parental rights; and

3) you experience a significant change in your societal status-such as an enlistment in the military or marriage.
    If she's being abused it should be reported to CPS.

Comment

YOU refuse to see her back in foster care? Sorry, but the last I heard, you were not the one in charge of the child protective services in Missouri.

EVEN IF Missouri had an emancipation law, it would not cover this situation and your "friend" would not be emancipated on the basis of what you have posted.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Somehow I doubt that she would have gone back to meth users.

Missouri is death on them. The parents would not see the child again. One call and she will be out of that house.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X