• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im 15 and i need help. Oklahoma

Hi.
    Im 15 and i want to get emancipated.
    My mom died and my dad use to beat her
    all the time and he use to beat my big brother which is
    his step son. Well since my mom has died my dad has not beat me but pushed me or kicked me but he calls me names all the time and he complaines about how i hate him and how im worthless. Its mentally abusive. Im sick of it i want to move out and live on my own, there is other family i could live with but i really just want to get emancipated. I live in oklahoma and i know that i have to be 16 and have a car and a job.
    But i need advice on what to do and how to do it.

Oklahoma law on emancipation is limited to allowing you to sign contracts. Even if you succeeded in becoming emancipated, under OK law you would still not be allowed to leave home.

I don't know where you kids get the idea that all you have to do is apply for emancipation and it will be granted. According to aggragate figures I have seen, less than 1% of emancipation applications nationally are granted.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Call this lady she is the "head" go to at the Child Protective services in Oklahoma. She'll be able to direct you to help you out with your situation. She won't be able to get you emancipated, as Cbg stated why.

Esther Rider-Salem
      Child Protective Services Programs Manager
      Phone: (405) 521-2283

Comment

Not all Bad

I understand you wanting to be free. As a child I was a chronic runaway to get out of a bad situation. Now I am a foster parent fostering teenages who were in bad situations.

Call your child protective services. I know you want to live on your own, but it isn't what you may think it is. Many foster homes are wonderful homes. They will help you finish school, get a job, learn to take care of yourself. Most importantly provide love and support.

Talk to a trusted adult if you are to scared to call CPS.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X