This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16-pregnant-and wants emancipated in Iowa Iowa

I’m a friend of a concerned biological mother who’s daughter (now 16 years old) was adopted out 6 years ago.
    Her daughter told her that the biological son (who is 15 years old) of the family that adopted her tried to sexually assault her several times. She ran away after the third assault, but was caught and taken back. At which time the son attempted to assault her once again. She ran away again after that and has been listed as a missing person for 4 weeks now.

Her adopted family refuses to let her get emancipated and no lawyer will take her case without parental consent. Yet they are doing nothing to protect her from the assaults. And the Department of Human Services continues to claim that the allegations are unfounded.

The child refuses to return to her adoptive home and promises to run away again if she is forced to return there. She wants to be allowed to live again with her biological mother.

However now the situation has become even more complicated. The daughter is now pregnant. But by being pregnant can she now get emancipated witout parental consent?
    concerned62
    Last edited by concerned62; 07-06-2006, 01:28 PM.

I have no clue about emancipation laws to be honest, but if that boy is the father, it seems like she could have a pretty good case...

Comment

being pregnant at her age is even less of a reason for the child to be emancipated...why have these sexual assaults not been reported to dcfs???
      http://www.gestaltmediation.com/

Comment

I didn't mean to imply she should be emancipated because of pregnancy, even more so not to be, she needs help, love, and support to care for her baby.

Comment

There is something called Medical Emancipation, which means that the minor is considered an adult due to pregancy. I live in Iowa, but am not sure what that all entails. I will check it out for you if no one beats me to it. Is the boy in question suspected to be the father, or does she have a boyfriend? I can't say I blame her for not wanting to go back there if no one is doing anything about the abuse. Gotta love Iowa DHS, they do a bang up job. Could she maybe return with the condition that maybe a secret camera or tape recorder be put into her room? I guess it comes down to this. I know that you are never suppose to give up on your children, however, why is it that the parents don't want her to be emancipated? Given the situation, without proof, like footage, audio, or physical harm, things won't change. Which means that she won't return. At this point, wouldn't it maybe be best for her to be emancipated and safe instead of being a pregnant runaway? At least if she was emancipated, the adopted mother could help her get settled somewhere safe, and look over her. If she continues to run, she won't get medical care and may not take care of herself. Better to let her think she has won and keep an eye on her than have her out running to God only know's where. Does she have a relationship with the adopted parents at all? Does she like them? That makes all of the difference here.

Comment

all medical emancipation means is she has the right to procure or decline medical services on her own behalf, her parents no longer make those decisions for her....i.e. they can't force her to have an abortion or not have an abortion
            http://www.gestaltmediation.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr
              all medical emancipation means is she has the right to procure or decline medical services on her own behalf, her parents no longer make those decisions for her....i.e. they can't force her to have an abortion or not have an abortion
              and medical decisions for her child, both during the pregnancy and once the baby is born. (Just wanted to add that.) Zephyr is right that medical emancipation is NOT legal emancipation.
              HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
              How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
              (unique up on him)
              How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
              (same way)

Comment

16-pregnant-and wants emancipated in Iowa

I have no clue about emancipation laws to be honest, but if that boy is the father, it seems like she could have a pretty good case...
                First off. Sorry. I never realized that it would be taken that the adoptive son might be the father. He's NOT! The father would be her boyfriend.

being pregnant at her age is even less of a reason for the child to be emancipated...why have these sexual assaults not been reported to dcfs???
                They have been reported to DHS who is saying that the allegations are unfounded.

I didn't mean to imply she should be emancipated because of pregnancy, even more so not to be, she needs help, love, and support to care for her baby.
                Her biological mother is more than willing and happy to take her in. In fact the courts even ruled that there was never a reason for this girl to have been pulled from her biological mother to begin with. So there is more than enough love and support for her. Just not a legal backing without emancipation.

Shopgirl75,
                The adoptive parents are part of the problem. It's their biological son that has been assaulting the girl. I can't get into why they may not want to let her get emancipated. But lets just say that $$$$ may have a part in it.
                As for the camera.....good idea.....but the last attempted assault happened in the family pool. Out of sight. Their son is no fool.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I'll relay what has been posted to the biological mom.
                concerned62
                Last edited by concerned62; 07-06-2006, 03:01 PM.

Comment

It sounds like the bio mom needs to sue for custody of her daughter. She needs a good atty. See, if the girl was adopted (not just custody or guardianship to another family) the mother's rights had to have been terminated. So what she would essentially have to do is adopt her own daughter or have the adoption reversed on the grounds that the adoption was improper or illegal to begin with. Short of that, she could petition for legal guardianship/custody of her and just not be recognized as her legal mother. Has anyone considered performing DNA testing on the fetus to find out who the father of the baby is? In some cases, it can be done prenatal. If the father is her abuser, that will give weight to her allegations of assault. She is just not in any position to be considered a good candidate for emancipation.
                  mommyof4
                  Last edited by mommyof4; 07-06-2006, 02:59 PM.
                  HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                  How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
                  (unique up on him)
                  How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
                  (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by mommyof4
                    It sounds like the bio mom needs to sue for custody of her daughter. She needs a good atty. See, if the girl was adopted (not just custody or guardianship to another family) the mother's rights had to have been terminated. So what she would essentially have to do is adopt her own daughter or have the adoption reversed on the grounds that the adoption was improper or illegal to begin with. Short of that, she could petition for legal guardianship/custody of her and just not be recognized as her legal mother. Has anyone considered performing DNA testing on the fetus to find out who the father of the baby is? In some cases, it can be done prenatal. If the father is her abuser, that will give weight to her allegations of assault. She is just not in any position to be considered a good candidate for emancipation.
                    We just found out about the pregnacy today. But the boyfriend is without question the father. The girl never let her adopitve brother get that far.
                    But as for your first suggestion about the bio mom suing for custody. Thanks! That's a great idea and we should be smacked for not already thinking about that.
                    BTW, The bio mom says thanks too!

Comment

Originally posted by Shopgirl75
                      Gotta love Iowa DHS, they do a bang up job.
                      Yeah....don't they just......NOT!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X