Changed the locks -need lawyer Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed the locks -need lawyer Maryland

I changed the locks on my house so my girlfriend lied and said that I threatened her. She broke and window and entered the house. Then see filed for a protective order. I am due in court in Upper Marlboro Maryland in the morning at 8:45am. It is my house and workplace. What can I do? If don't get access Monday I will loss money in my business. I work at home. I then filed an order against her. How can I get back in the house?
    Last edited by TrappedMD; 05-03-2009, 06:31 AM.

Originally posted by TrappedMD View Post
    I changed the locks on my house so my girlfriend lied and said that I threatened her. She broke and window and entered the house. Then see filed for a protective order. I am due in court in Upper Marlboro Maryland in the morning at 8:45am. It is my house and workplace. What can I do? If don't get access Monday I will loss money in my business. I work at home. I then filed an order against her. How can I get back in the house?
    I am confused. Does your girlfriend live in the house? Do you own the home with her. Were you living together? Why would you not be allowed in the house currently?

This is hardly an area that I know a TON about, so wait for other answers, but if she was living there with you, you cannot just change the locks on her. You have to evict her if you want her out legally, even if she was not paying rent, etc.

BUT... I think you need a few more details about what happened and why to get better responses.

Comment

I own the house alone. I found out that I could not change the locks. We do not have any kids or anything. How hard will the judge be about my changing the locks and what about needing to earn a living at home. I can not earn a living outside of the house. I have special equipment and she has family in the area that she can live with. Last year I was granted a pease order against her 22 year old daughter. I couples counseling it they tapes of my complaining about her and her daughter verbally abusing me so I counter charged her. It is also on video that she threatened to have me charge with rape for no reason. Does any of this count? However, I can't get the notes from counseling until later in the week. What should I do in the morning?

Comment

Professional representation

Originally posted by TrappedMD View Post
        I own the house alone. I found out that I could not change the locks. We do not have any kids or anything. How hard will the judge be about my changing the locks and what about needing to earn a living at home. What should I do in the morning?
        I have read most of your posts on this website. As a professional, you should have had an attorney on retainer to assist in resolving this matter along time ago. In the morning, you need an attorney to assist you in being able to maintain your office to provide professional services.

In the morning, you should stress to the judge that you have clients that need your professional services in resolving their problems. You should stress to the judge that some of your client might be adversely affected if you are not able to maintain your appointments and have access to your professional equipment. Also, you should ask the court for additional time to obtain professional representation to resolve this matter between you and your girlfriend. You should emphasis to the Court that your clients should not be adversely affected due to a dispute between you and your girlfriend. The encounters started between you and girlfriend while clients were being provided professional services should be used as evidence. The welfare of your client would be best service if your girlfriend were the one who should find additional housing rather than you in the best interest of your clients. Thus, it is in your best interest to resolve this matter between yourself and your girlfriend yesterday rather than tomorrow.

I am not an attorney and the above information is my opinions. My opinions might be worth two cents.
        Last edited by DrumMajorChange; 05-04-2009, 03:04 AM.
        I am not an attorney. My personal opinions are not legal advice.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." --- Franklin Roosevelt

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. --- Martin Luther King Jr.

A trap was set once upon a time; however, the designer fell in himself!!

Comment

The judge through the case out without hearing my side. I never touched her and she did not have a case. The fact that filed a counter petition saved my butt.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X