• cbg
    replied
    CAN your employer fire him - yes.

MUST your employer fire him - no.

Leave a comment:

• xena
    replied
    Originally posted by Ramona22 View Post
    I know thats what I thought. My manager said that he thinks this guy is a nut and all this is crazy but I don't know what is stopping him from firing him? Thats why I was asking - I wasn't sure if there is some kind of law that prohibits it or what. People have been fired for much less here.
    No, there's no law that would prohibit him from being fired.

Unfortunately, it is all up to your manager to take care of, and he's the best person to talk to about the problem.

Leave a comment:

• Ramona22
    replied
    I know thats what I thought. My manager said that he thinks this guy is a nut and all this is crazy but I don't know what is stopping him from firing him? Thats why I was asking - I wasn't sure if there is some kind of law that prohibits it or what. People have been fired for much less here.

Leave a comment:

• xena
    replied
    Originally posted by Ramona22 View Post
    I filed a restraining order last week against an ex-boyfriend, who is also a co-worker of mine. We work together at a restaurant where we are both servers. Among many other acts of stalking and harassment, he repeatedly threatened violence against me and my family. I feel that he is certainly capable of carrying out his threats because he has a large collection of guns and knives and has shot himself in the chest when his last girlfriend broke up with him. (also, I have only been dating this guy for 3 weeks!!) He has two prior restraining orders from two different women as well as an assault and battery charge within the last 3 years.

I have made my managers aware of everything and have given them a copy of the order of protection as well. My question is, can my employer fire him? They are already scheduling us different shifts, but my hours have been cut drastically. Also, he still has access to my work schedule so he knows when I am working and when I am not. He has already followed me home after work and attempted to break into my house. He has been put "on notice" and suspended for 1 week, but even without the situation concerning me, he has many violations at work that could easily, legally serve as grounds for termination. Is there anything that could possibly be done to get him out so I can work in a safe environment without taking a pay cut? Or should I just forget it all and try to find a new job?

On one hand, I feel it would be stupid of me to stay with him still being employed there, but on the other hand, I don't feel that I should have to lose almost $400 per month and have to try to find another job in this economy due to his actions. Please help!
    What does your manager say about the situation?
    There really isn't anything stopping the manager from firing him, especially when he has already had other problems at work.

Leave a comment:

• Ramona22
    started a topic Question regarding OP Illinois

Question regarding OP Illinois

I filed a restraining order last week against an ex-boyfriend, who is also a co-worker of mine. We work together at a restaurant where we are both servers. Among many other acts of stalking and harassment, he repeatedly threatened violence against me and my family. I feel that he is certainly capable of carrying out his threats because he has a large collection of guns and knives and has shot himself in the chest when his last girlfriend broke up with him. (also, I have only been dating this guy for 3 weeks!!) He has two prior restraining orders from two different women as well as an assault and battery charge within the last 3 years.

I have made my managers aware of everything and have given them a copy of the order of protection as well. My question is, can my employer fire him? They are already scheduling us different shifts, but my hours have been cut drastically. Also, he still has access to my work schedule so he knows when I am working and when I am not. He has already followed me home after work and attempted to break into my house. He has been put "on notice" and suspended for 1 week, but even without the situation concerning me, he has many violations at work that could easily, legally serve as grounds for termination. Is there anything that could possibly be done to get him out so I can work in a safe environment without taking a pay cut? Or should I just forget it all and try to find a new job?

On one hand, I feel it would be stupid of me to stay with him still being employed there, but on the other hand, I don't feel that I should have to lose almost $400 per month and have to try to find another job in this economy due to his actions. Please help!
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X