Reporting DV North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reporting DV North Carolina

Does anyone know how much time a person has to report an instance of domestic violence before it becomes pointless. I didnt file an instance where my wife physically assaulted me, and could have potentially ran me over with a vehicle, because I was very upset and confused at the time. I didn't want to make the problem worse, but now she has served me separation papers and I believe that it is over between us anyway. Now I am trying to get custody of my child and I feel it might have been a mistake not to get the police to respond at that moment.

Originally posted by Mac_24 View Post
    Does anyone know how much time a person has to report an instance of domestic violence before it becomes pointless. I didnt file an instance where my wife physically assaulted me, and could have potentially ran me over with a vehicle, because I was very upset and confused at the time. I didn't want to make the problem worse, but now she has served me separation papers and I believe that it is over between us anyway. Now I am trying to get custody of my child and I feel it might have been a mistake not to get the police to respond at that moment.
    A report should be made at the time of the incident. Reports that are filed at a later date, especially when there is a custody battle, are almost always viewed as suspicious.

How long ago was the incident and were there any witnesses?

Comment

There were witnesses and it happened a week ago tomorrow. The only reason I did not file with the city police was due to the fact that I was still trying to stay with the mother of my child. I didn't want a divorce but now it is inevitable. I did, however, report it to my chain of command. It went all the way up to the CO of my unit and he in turn reported it to the Family Advocacy Center. They are currently working on statements and prosecuting my wife with or without my consent. Will this be sufficient?

Comment

Originally posted by Mac_24 View Post
        There were witnesses and it happened a week ago tomorrow. The only reason I did not file with the city police was due to the fact that I was still trying to stay with the mother of my child. I didn't want a divorce but now it is inevitable. I did, however, report it to my chain of command. It went all the way up to the CO of my unit and he in turn reported it to the Family Advocacy Center. They are currently working on statements and prosecuting my wife with or without my consent. Will this be sufficient?
        That should be. You were fortunate that you had a back up and in the end it won't matter too much that you didn't call the police right away.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X