Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice re. Texas abuse case

Hello,

I’m posting here as I had a case come to my attention regarding a young woman living in an abusive situation with her grandmother, and I am desperate to know what I can do to help her.

The situation in a nutshell is as follows: the young girl, now seventeen, lost her grandfather two years ago. Her grandmother took the loss very hard, and began to take it out on the granddaughter. The granddaughter is now subject to being slapped, vicious emotional and verbal abuse, and being forced to do all the chores in the house while the grandmother sits by and does nothing (the girl finishes everything at around 1am, every night. It needs to be stressed that this isn’t because she’s “partying” all night; she gets home from school, does her homework, cooks dinner, then gets to work taking care of the rest of the house). This alone is obviously a serious problem, but to add to the severity situation the girl is now four months pregnant. I don’t need to state that this sort of situation is probably not the greatest for a pregnant 17 year old girl to be in.

She is graduating high school in about three months, and has clearly stated that as soon as she graduates she is leaving her grandmother’s house. However, that is in three months, she would be seven months pregnant by then, and there are two lives at stake now. I am afraid that the grandmother might start to see that she is about to lose control over her granddaughter and might tighten her control too much and seriously endanger the lives of either the young mother or the unborn child.

That brings me to my main question of what to do to help. The girl does not feel safe with things the way they are, and so I am trying to help as much as I can. Would filing for emancipation and getting the girl out of the home be the best option, despite the fact that it will never go to court before she turns 18? Should CPS be called in? I guess the underlying question is this: what is the best way to see to it that both the young mother and her baby are kept safe for the next three months until she can move out?

I am no expert in this area of the law nor in situations such as this, and as such I appreciate in advance any and all advice I can get on this case. Thank you for your time.

You could call CPS, if you wish, but there would have to be proof of the abuse. She should call the police when her face is red from the impact of the hit. She could charge her with assault. She can join a group that deals with abuse victims. That is all I can think of, since the emancipation, is of no help.

Comment

By the time a case for emancipation would be heard, she would probably be 18. She would also have to show that she is fully supporting herself and wil continue to do so, has a place OF HER OWN to live, continue to recieve acceptable grades in school, AND (since she is pregnant) show that she is capable, financially, physically and emotionally to care for and provide for her child alone. She cannot legally leave her home without consent of the legal guardian. Turbo is correct. If she is being abused, CPS needs to be contacted. (and yes, I am well aware of the problems with CPS in TX right now.)

Where are her parents? I also have to ask who you are in relation to this girl? I'm sorry, but so many times it's the BF or GF trying to "help" the other.
      HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
      How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
      (unique up on him)
      How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
      (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by mommyof4 View Post
        By the time a case for emancipation would be heard, she would probably be 18. She would also have to show that she is fully supporting herself and wil continue to do so, has a place OF HER OWN to live, continue to recieve acceptable grades in school, AND (since she is pregnant) show that she is capable, financially, physically and emotionally to care for and provide for her child alone. She cannot legally leave her home without consent of the legal guardian. Turbo is correct. If she is being abused, CPS needs to be contacted. (and yes, I am well aware of the problems with CPS in TX right now.)

Where are her parents? I also have to ask who you are in relation to this girl? I'm sorry, but so many times it's the BF or GF trying to "help" the other.
        Good questions!

Comment

I would also like to point out that it is not illegal in any way to make a 17 year old girl do chores.

The court will argue, correctly, that her chore load should have been harder... because she still had time to date and get pregnant.

I am not trying to be mean, I am just trying to inform you what the court will see.

I further submit that if this girl goes to a court and says that her grandmother has been yelling at her, the court will say did it have anything to do with the young man that impregnated her.

Unless you are family to this girl or have a legal reason to insert yourself in her care (don't tell me you are the boyfriend... that means nothing to the court), you don't have any right to judge the grandmother's raising of the child unless you have clear cut evidence of abuse.

Lastly, you ask if she can be emancipated for all the work she does around the house? Who do you think will be doing all the work around the house if she IS emancipated?
          Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X