Can I do something? California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I do something? California

I recently discovered a friend has a major shopping problem. I opened her garage door and had to climb over the empty boxes that ranged from toys to creamer jugs in order to get to what I needed. To say that it's a fire hazard is to say the least. Her laundry room was gross and ceiling to floor kids clothing - half of which the tags were still on. When I went into the kid's closets to get the jammies that I was looking for, I found so much clothing that it was falling off shelves, all over the floor, hanging up, etc. A huge portion of it had tags on them too. Plus, she has thousands of dollars worth of craft materials that she has never even opened much less used. When we opened cubboards, full bags would fall out - we quit opening cubboards.

The thing is, I was there that night because she had gotten drunk because of an arguement she had with her husband. It was the second night in a row she had done that. She was so hysterical that a mutual friend of ours and I decided to empty the house of medications, cleaning supplies, and poisons to keep her from doing anything stupid.

If she hadn't gotten so drunk, I never would have seen what I saw. I knew the house was alway cluttered and that there were always pizza boxes everywhere but the kids aren't dirty or unloved. Their mom is just obviously mentally ill which will take it's toll on the family as well.. Is there anything I can do?

What do you think?

Originally posted by mrscv View Post
    I recently discovered a friend has a major shopping problem. I opened her garage door and had to climb over the empty boxes that ranged from toys to creamer jugs in order to get to what I needed. To say that it's a fire hazard is to say the least. Her laundry room was gross and ceiling to floor kids clothing - half of which the tags were still on. When I went into the kid's closets to get the jammies that I was looking for, I found so much clothing that it was falling off shelves, all over the floor, hanging up, etc. A huge portion of it had tags on them too. Plus, she has thousands of dollars worth of craft materials that she has never even opened much less used. When we opened cubboards, full bags would fall out - we quit opening cubboards.

The thing is, I was there that night because she had gotten drunk because of an arguement she had with her husband. It was the second night in a row she had done that. She was so hysterical that a mutual friend of ours and I decided to empty the house of medications, cleaning supplies, and poisons to keep her from doing anything stupid.

If she hadn't gotten so drunk, I never would have seen what I saw. I knew the house was alway cluttered and that there were always pizza boxes everywhere but the kids aren't dirty or unloved. Their mom is just obviously mentally ill which will take it's toll on the family as well.. Is there anything I can do?

What do you think?
    Her shopping problem could be related to obsessive compulsive disorder, manic episodes in bi-polar depression or any number of very serious disorders, so she needs help ASAP. Have you tried talking to her about seeing a mental health counselor or her regular Dr? If you think she will not get angry with you, try that. If you can't talk to her, can you talk to her husband about the problems?

If both of those ideas won't work, or fail, you'll have to report the problem to CPS. They can go into the home and after just one look at the huge amount of clutter, they can offer her parenting classes or some type of supervision. That will help get the ball rolling toward her seeing a counselor and being evaluated.

Comment

I did try to tell her she needed help and she blew up at me. Her husband told me that she had some sort of breakdown previously and was sent home from work with the instructions to get help. She made an appointment with a counselor and never went - and hasn't been back to work since. He's given up.

I'm afraid that CPS has their hands so full with kids who are neglected or beaten that all I will accomplish by reporting her is pissing her off even more than she already is.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X