Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interst on Back Child support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Interst on Back Child support

    I need some help please. I have an out side agency collecting child support on my behalf and it "appears" that my ex has met his support. I have one child that has been dropped because of reaching maximum age and another close to it. My question is there were lapse of time between payments not consistently made on a monthly basis. Am I able to collect interest on the back support for the years it sat in arrears. The agnecy doing my collection seems to think so. I need help confirming this.

  • #2
    Hopefully someone with that knowledge or experience can help you. I just wanted to say that I've never heard of interest being added to child support arrears. But I don't know if it happens.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by shedo
      Hopefully someone with that knowledge or experience can help you. I just wanted to say that I've never heard of interest being added to child support arrears. But I don't know if it happens.
      Im being charged 10 % a year on 38000.00

      Comment


      • #4
        It depends on the state's guidelines. Some states charge no interest, some charge graduated amounts of interest, some charge set amounts of interest.
        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
        How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
        (unique up on him)
        How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
        (same way)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by derf728

          Im being charged 10 % a year on 38000.00
          I wouldn't go around telling people that I was $38K BEHIND in child support if I were you.

          My ex is paying 27.5% interest on alot more then you owe though. Well, not really PAYING, so to speak, more like accruing.

          The problem here is that the OP has gone to a private outside agency. They have absolutely no power to add interest to anything. Even if they can get the STATE to add interest, it is very unlikely that the OP will actually see it. These agencies take as much of the money as allowed by law before giving what's left over to the parent.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mommyof4
            It depends on the state's guidelines. Some states charge no interest, some charge graduated amounts of interest, some charge set amounts of interest.

            Thank you all for your info. Does anyone happen to know if Idaho is a state that "could" charge interest? My child support collection agency is in Texas and they have preliminairly set up the interest

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sdclefty
              Thank you all for your info. Does anyone happen to know if Idaho is a state that "could" charge interest? My child support collection agency is in Texas and they have preliminairly set up the interest
              Every state CAN charge interest. Is the child support order from Texas or Idah?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ceara
                Every state CAN charge interest. Is the child support order from Texas or Idah?

                It is in Idaho, where he resides

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by sdclefty
                  It is in Idaho, where he resides
                  http://www.healthandwelfare.idaho.go...opDefault.aspx

                  This is the website for Idaho CSE. If the info is not listed on the site, there is an 800 # you can call to find out.

                  Comment

                  The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X