X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mommyof4
    replied
    Originally posted by hdr1234
    Hello I am a mother living in Connecticut and have a 15 month old daughter who's father doesn't want to have anything to do with her because he failed to tell me that he was married. He lives in NJ and we have a court date for a child support hearring. Is it possible that he can terminate his parental rights because he's mad about his wife finding out and because of that, he doesn't want anything to do with our daughter.
    No, if you do not agree to let him terminate his rights and the court finds that there is no reason that he would not be a fit parent, he cannot unilaterally terminate his rights. He will be ordered to pay cs. Now, that does not mean that a court can force him to have an ongoing relationship with the child. If he (or you for that matter) file for custody/visitation and he is awarded visitation, then he has the right to see the child, but he also has the right to NOT see the child. Irregardless of what he decides to do concerning actual visitation, he is still obligated to pay child support.

Leave a comment:

• shedo
    replied
    No he absolutely can not. He will be held responsible. Have they already determined paternity? If not, he will have to take a paternity test, then when it is determined that he is the father, they will issue a child support order. Keep in mind that he can file for visitation IF he wants to. He can't terminate his parental rights (obligations) until there is another father willing to adopt the child.

Leave a comment:

• hdr1234
    started a topic parental rights

parental rights

Hello I am a mother living in Connecticut and have a 15 month old daughter who's father doesn't want to have anything to do with her because he failed to tell me that he was married. He lives in NJ and we have a court date for a child support hearring. Is it possible that he can terminate his parental rights because he's mad about his wife finding out and because of that, he doesn't want anything to do with our daughter.
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X