im worried please help asap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im worried please help asap

ok i have a huge problem. I am 17 and i have 2 kids. i live in new york. I want to move to niagra falls asap. my dad says if i try to move he will get my children taken from me. Im going to be living with another girl, who has a job and everything else. can he seriously do this? also is it even legal for me to leave since im only 17?

Originally posted by jennip88
    ok i have a huge problem. I am 17 and i have 2 kids. i live in new york. I want to move to niagra falls asap. my dad says if i try to move he will get my children taken from me. Im going to be living with another girl, who has a job and everything else. can he seriously do this? also is it even legal for me to leave since im only 17?
    does this apply to you?
    The youth must be living apart from his/her parents;
    The youth must be self supporting (may be receiving public benefits or child support if required by court order);
    The youth is not in need/receipt of foster care;
    The youth is living beyond the custody and control of the parent;
    The youth is over the age of 16
    if so then you are emancipated and can leave

Comment

He can try and take the kids away. Usually, grandparent can't easily take custody from a parent, but the fact that you are a minor, you want to move to a city where you have no family support to help with the child, you have no JOB, you will not have your OWN place to live and the children have been living with him (I assume you and the kids live with him currently), he could have a better then average chance of winning.

Comment

trippin

i get 600 dollars a month from social security because my mom just recently passed away. i have my ged and am about to start college for nursing, my girlfriend has a pretty good job, and i havent known my dad except for the couple months ive lived here.

Comment

The minute you become an emancipated adult (which will HAVE to happen before you can move) the SS payments stop. So, how are you planning on finacially providing for your children? If your dad takes you to court, he will have a very good case. You have exhibited very poor judgement by having not one, but TWO children before your 18th birthday.

Your FRIEND having a good job has nothing at all to do with YOUR ability to take care of 2 children with no job, no money and no education.

Comment

Jennip88...you cannot seriously be considering starting nursing school now with two small kids. You have no idea how difficult nursing school is...how much time is required studying...the extra classes and meetings and labs...the cost of textbooks and supplies...I supported my ex through three years of nursing school while we were together with two small children and it almost wrecked us financially...and this was in a stable home with two adults.

I'm sorry to put it this way, but...your wants and desires are going to have to be put on hold when you turn 18 and you have to start supporting these kids. BTW, where is the father(s) of these kids? Are you receiving support? If not, why not?

You have made a mistake by having a child out of wedlock at such a young age...and you compounded it by having another one. I'm sorry to sound so condescending toward you, but please...for the sake of your children...think about them first and put your own wants to the side for now.

The saddest thing is...if and/or when you choose to ignore this advice and move in with your friend in Niagra and start school...you will probably receive an incredible amount of free student assistance and welfare to help you. This is the common thread here among those of us who try to do the right thing...the most selfish people seem to be the most rewarded ones in our system.

Anyway, good luck to you - you will need plenty of perseverance to get through this and do what is best for your children.

Comment

I think that was very uncalled for for u to post that. i asked for help, nobody asked for ur opinion. Who do u think im going to nursing school for? My kids. i dont think theres a thing wrong with using government assistance as long as your trying to better yourself. Im not gonna be one of those teen moms who live off welfare for the rest of her life.By the way im a very faithful christian and God has forgiven me for the sins of having children out of wedlock so get over it, and if u have no legal advice please dont post again

Comment

they wont stop as long as im in school, ive already checked

Comment

they wont stop as long as im in school, ive already checked
                  In order for you to move out before you turn 18, you will have to be emancipated. Once you are imancipated, you are a LEGAL ADULT and SS WILL stop, even if you end up going to school.

Comment

I dont know the laws of your state, but I rember something about if you are over the age 16 and have a child your are automatically emanicated. If not you shouldn't have any problem becomeing legally mancipated. When your mom passed away did you dad file for cusody of you? My mom passed away when I was 16. My sister tried to gain cusody for me becouse I recieved ss and military benifits. All I had to do was prove I had a job, money in the bank and a place to live. You may want to put off school until you have accomplished this, but dont give up on your long term goals. Going to school will be very hard, but if you do it the right way and really work at it, you will gain such a better life for yourself and your kids in the long run- good luck

SS will not stop as long as you are going to school full time. I recieved bennifits until I was 21.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeon
                      I dont know the laws of your state, but I rember something about if you are over the age 16 and have a child your are automatically emanicated. If not you shouldn't have any problem becomeing legally mancipated. When your mom passed away did you dad file for cusody of you? My mom passed away when I was 16. My sister tried to gain cusody for me becouse I recieved ss and military benifits. All I had to do was prove I had a job, money in the bank and a place to live. You may want to put off school until you have accomplished this, but dont give up on your long term goals. Going to school will be very hard, but if you do it the right way and really work at it, you will gain such a better life for yourself and your kids in the long run- good luck

SS will not stop as long as you are going to school full time. I recieved bennifits until I was 21.
                      thabk you. thats what ss told me too about the 21 thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeon

Once again, the courts have been consistent in ruling that child birth does NOT automatically render a minor legally emancipated. When a pregnant minor is told she is granted emancipation, it is in regards to medical decisions concerning her child and her health (as in she has the right to request pain medication during labor and delivery). More often, child birth may make it more difficult to gain legal emancipation, because not only must the minor show that she lives on her own, has a job, fully supports herself (including, but not limited to: food, utilities, rent, insurance, medical bills) she now has to prove that she is also capable of supporting and raising a child, in this case TWO. Please point me to the job (that does not involve removing one's clothes) that will pay enough for a 17 year old single mother of two to live on without any assistance, whether it be from friends and family or the government. It's not out there, and don't forget she wants to go to school, too. $600 is NOT enough to live on, much less raise two children.

Yes, your father would have a very good chance of gaining custody of your children. He could also press charges against you as a runaway. That would be a very quick route to losing custody of your children. The age of majority in NY is 19. You cannot legally leave home without your parent's permission before then.
                        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                        How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
                        (unique up on him)
                        How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
                        (same way)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                        Working...
                        X