Moving out of state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving out of state

My daughter's father has nothing to do with her. He pays child support but only because they rob it out of his paycheck. He hasn't seen her in about a year, no contact. There is only an order for supervised visitation in which he never has signed up for and never has taken me back to court for anything either. The child support is also court ordered. If I move out of state, do I have to tell him? He may never know and there is no order keeping me in this state (Florida). The only order we have is a temporary injunction that expires in June and then the court has no jurisdiction over us either.

Originally posted by meltyemi
    My daughter's father has nothing to do with her. He pays child support but only because they rob it out of his paycheck. He hasn't seen her in about a year, no contact. There is only an order for supervised visitation in which he never has signed up for and never has taken me back to court for anything either. The child support is also court ordered. If I move out of state, do I have to tell him? He may never know and there is no order keeping me in this state (Florida). The only order we have is a temporary injunction that expires in June and then the court has no jurisdiction over us either.
    Actually, by Florida law, you have to notify him BEFORE you move. At least 30 days, you will also need to notify the court that you are moving.

When you notify Dad about the planned move, he has the right to file papers with the court objecting to you taking HIS child out of state.

You need to notify Dad in writing, send it certified return reciept, so that you'll have PROOF of service.

If you decide to do something foolish, like NOT notifying him, he could still go to court and FORCE you to bring his child BACK TO FL. Because of what you posted, I can pretty well quess your next question- can you just leave because he "abandoned" the child? As long as Dad is paying CS, he has not LEGALLY abandoned the child (I know, it's crazy, but that's the law- payment of CS is considered contact).

You didn't say, but I'm assuming that the CS/custody/visitation orders are in Fl? If so, then YOU (and him) will be under the court's jurisdiction until HE leaves the state, or your child turns 18.
    Xena

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X