need answers quick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need answers quick

my son is about to graduate from high school and start college in august, will the child support continue through college,or is he accountable for at least half of tuition, i live in maryland

Check laws

I'm not sure but in Texas once the child is 18 there is no more child support -- plus you need to look in the child support papers or custody papers to see what you agreed to.

Comment

sorry but no

hello

Maryland

Termination of support at 18
      No statute or case law holding parents to a duty to college support in the absence of an agreement.

rini

Comment

I agree. There is no legal obligation for half of tuition unless agreed upon. But like I said in someone else's post about college....these "kids" are now adults who can get jobs. I am in support of parents helping thier college age children through college if they can afford to, but the law doesn't need to protect the child anymore with a support order, the child is now an adult.
        Last edited by shedo; 02-24-2006, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rini
          hello

Maryland

Termination of support at 18
          No statute or case law holding parents to a duty to college support in the absence of an agreement.

rini
          thank you for giving me the info on the statue in maryland

Comment

Originally posted by shedo
            I agree. There is no legal obligation for half of tuition unless agreed upon. But like I said in someone else's post about college....these "kids" are now adults who can get jobs. I am in support of parents helping thier college age children through college if they can afford to, but the law doesn't need to protect the child anymore with a support order, the child is now an adult.
            i was only asking for facts not personal input.
            as for laws some states do some dont. rini gave me the answer. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by love it hate it
              i was only asking for facts not personal input.
              as for laws some states do some dont. rini gave me the answer. thanks
              I understand. I was more of just trying to put into perspective why it is logical that the law doesn't order parents to split college tuition. I'm glad rini could answer the question for you.

Comment

Scared for my 3 kids

I am a mother of 3 children ages 15 to 11. There father has primary care. Summer of 04 he gave me less than a 30 day notice that they were moving to Vermont from Florida. He did give me paper work for modification and I was told not to sign it which I did not the day they moved to Vermont. I went everywhere trying to get help cause the kids did not want to move. This move has not been good for them, no family etc. They want to live with me and they are scared of him and girlfriend. They live in a 3b/1bath house she has 5 kids and my 3 live there also. 10 people in the house how is this legal. Anyway I need help I have the kids right now for a week vacation and they and I dont want them to go back. They are verbally abused and threatened. He their father gave me pills for 2 of my kids to take with no perscription attached which are strattera and concerta neither one of them have ADD. They did not see a doctor for this. These 2 pills combined is very dangerous. I consulted a pharmascist which gave me a FDA warnings and regulations regarding these pills. My children are already showing signs of the side effects
                son has lost 20lbs he is 14 and is now under 100lbs both are depressed and have told me that they have been having bad thoughts of harm.
                I am supposed to put them back on a plane to Vermont 2/26 out of Orlando Fl.
                I am scared and so are they. Please help me I have nowhere to turn.
                Since I have had them I have not given this medicine to them. A mother is to protect her children how can I when no one will help me I have so much evidence against there father for allot of things.
                Please help if not me then my children
                Tara

Comment

Papers

Originally posted by tfoxinfl
                  I am a mother of 3 children ages 15 to 11. There father has primary care. Summer of 04 he gave me less than a 30 day notice that they were moving to Vermont from Florida. He did give me paper work for modification and I was told not to sign it which I did not the day they moved to Vermont. I went everywhere trying to get help cause the kids did not want to move. This move has not been good for them, no family etc. They want to live with me and they are scared of him and girlfriend. They live in a 3b/1bath house she has 5 kids and my 3 live there also. 10 people in the house how is this legal. Anyway I need help I have the kids right now for a week vacation and they and I dont want them to go back. They are verbally abused and threatened. He their father gave me pills for 2 of my kids to take with no perscription attached which are strattera and concerta neither one of them have ADD. They did not see a doctor for this. These 2 pills combined is very dangerous. I consulted a pharmascist which gave me a FDA warnings and regulations regarding these pills. My children are already showing signs of the side effects
                  son has lost 20lbs he is 14 and is now under 100lbs both are depressed and have told me that they have been having bad thoughts of harm.
                  Since I have had them I have not given this medicine to them. A mother is to protect her children how can I when no one will help me I have so much evidence against there father for allot of things.
                  Tara
                  I beleive since you didn't sign the papers he is violation of the custody. you really should get an attorney. Also, i would call cps on them. If they can prove unfit then the kids will go to you. You really should get a lawyer fast! Don't send them back, your their mom - all he can do is take you back to court for violating the custody papers.

Comment

Tara
                    Check your court order again. Generally, a parent must notify the other parent in writting, WITHIN 30 days before they plan to move, but no later than 7 days after the move takes place.

It wasn't HIS responsibility to give you modification papers. If you wanted to modify the CO or contest the move, then you would need to be the one that filed. There was probably no NEED for you to sign anything if it was just a notification of the move, UNLESS your CO specifically says he has to have PERMISSION from you to move.

Comment

Hope this Helps

Unless the parent who is responsible for paying support has made an order to stop support, support continues until the child is 18 or out of high school whichever comes first. If there is still an active order get what is due to your son while it's still good. Check on it.

Comment

Tara
                        keep your kids there, call child protective services, get emergency custody
                        this website may help:

http://www.womenslaw.org/VT/VT_custody.htm#fn

Comment

Originally posted by love it hate it
                          keep your kids there, call child protective services, get emergency custody
                          this website may help:

http://www.womenslaw.org/VT/VT_custody.htm#fn
                          You left out the part about going to JAIL for violating the court order. The OP has NOT mentioned ANYTHING that dad has done that would put the children's lives in IMMEDIATE DANGER. If she doesn't send the children back when the CO tells her to, she is kidnapping the children. Then she can kiss any chance of getting a modification or temporary custody goodbye.

She can still ask for emergency custody, but if she wants any kind of chance at actually GETTING it, she needs to follow the current order to the letter.

Comment

Originally posted by ceara
                            You left out the part about going to JAIL for violating the court order. The OP has NOT mentioned ANYTHING that dad has done that would put the children's lives in IMMEDIATE DANGER. If she doesn't send the children back when the CO tells her to, she is kidnapping the children. Then she can kiss any chance of getting a modification or temporary custody goodbye.

She can still ask for emergency custody, but if she wants any kind of chance at actually GETTING it, she needs to follow the current order to the letter.

thats why i gave her the website....read it

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                            Working...
                            X