Waiving rights to child Oregon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiving rights to child Oregon

My husband cheated on me and the woman in question became pregnant. I am wondering what her rights are if this child is his.
    He does not want the child. He told her when he found out she was pregnant that it was a mistake and he didn't want anything to do with it. She said she wanted to raise the child on her own.
    She will be filing child support and I already know that she does not want him to have rights to the child who is due soon to be born.
    I hate to think this way but for the child it would be best of he was not in her life if he can not be there emotionally for this child. The child deserves more than a wrecked family and battle over a cheating.

What is Oregon law on waiving rights to a child? Would he still be obligated to pay support? Could I possibly be garnished for support due to his debt because I am his wife?

My husband and I have a son together. If things do not work between my husband and I, if she files for child support , will that hurt my chances of collecting support?

Originally posted by port1357 View Post
    My husband cheated on me and the woman in question became pregnant. I am wondering what her rights are if this child is his.
    He does not want the child. He told her when he found out she was pregnant that it was a mistake and he didn't want anything to do with it. She said she wanted to raise the child on her own.
    She will be filing child support and I already know that she does not want him to have rights to the child who is due soon to be born.
    I hate to think this way but for the child it would be best of he was not in her life if he can not be there emotionally for this child. The child deserves more than a wrecked family and battle over a cheating.

What is Oregon law on waiving rights to a child? Would he still be obligated to pay support? Could I possibly be garnished for support due to his debt because I am his wife?

My husband and I have a son together. If things do not work between my husband and I, if she files for child support , will that hurt my chances of collecting support?
    Once the baby is born and the mother files for CS your husband will need to first contest paternity and request a court ordered DNA test.

Then, if he is the father he will be ordered to pay CS. He will not be able to relinquish his rights to get out of paying CS. Supporting a child financially is an obligation, however, getting some form of custody and visitation is a right that he does not have to persue if he doesn't want to.
    In other words, he can choose to ignore his legal rights, but he cannot choose to ignore his legal responsibilty.

If you and your husband were to split up after a court order for CS for the other child is issued, when determining your amount of CS the court will deduct the other CS from your husband's income, then use the remainder to determine your CS. Typically, the first order will be more than any subsequent order.

No, your income cannot be used to determine CS, nor can it be garnished.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X