Can Ex Stop me from Moving out of state? ARK Arkansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Ex Stop me from Moving out of state? ARK Arkansas

I am recently re-married. My husband lives in Michigan and works at the U of M. I have full custody of my son (my ex has visitation rights) and am planning on moving to Michigan when school lets out. My ex says that I cannot move out of state and will not agree to a long distance visitation schedule. My ex is approximately 52 weeks behind in child support. I know that child support and visitation are different, but do you think this will help my case? My ex does see his son regularly. However, my husband makes 2X my salary, so moving to Michigan only makes sense- I will not have to work which means more time with my son, and will be returning to college to finish my degree. My ex is a plumber that switches jobs about every 3 months and is paid cash. Do you think my ex can stop me from moving to be with my husband?
    Last edited by sahar479; 03-20-2008, 04:16 PM. Reason: grammar

If your ex has established a relationship with the child, it will make it harder to grant your move.

You will have to go back to court. I give your chances 50/50
    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

...and if you are dead set on moving the child away from the father, you better come up with legitimate (to the court) reasons as to why it is in the best interest of the child to strain the father/child relationship.

Money isn't a very good reason. (really, it's not)

Further, you had better have an alternative visitation schedule to ensure that Daddy continues to be able to spend quality time with his child AND you need to be prepared to pay for all transportation costs.

See, it's just as easy for Daddy to say that YOU can move while the child remains with him. If you are that much better off financially, then it would be easier for YOU to exercise long distance visitation.

I'm not saying that you don't have a shot at this. I am saying that you need to be prepared for some very difficult questions AND be prepared to deal with different outcomes than you are hoping for.
      HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
      How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
      (unique up on him)
      How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
      (same way)

Comment

And to be prepared to pay for transportation when you move.
        Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X