Stopping CS Payments; child turns 18; Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopping CS Payments; child turns 18; Minnesota

Divorced in Maryland. Ex moved to MN with kids. Has lived there for several years now. One child turns 18 this year and the other child turns 18 the following year. Since we were divorced in Marlyand, how can I modify the CS support payment? Do I have to go through the MN court system and pay huge attorney fees? Can I go directly to DHS and start the process?

As per the court agreement, I pay her directly and I'm not nor have I ever fallen behind in payments.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Just a thought but maybe try calling the court directly. I have been on the employer side of these things. We have employees telling us that the child has turned 18, but the way the order is worded the employer has to keep withholding until otherwise officially notified. I have had employees call up the court directly and even have done so myself a few times. Sometimes we get a notification directly from the court stopping further deductions after the contact, and some times we do not.

I am not saying that this is a sure thing, but try the easy, cheap solutions first before trying the harder, expensive solutions. Give the court a call and politely talk to them.

Also, way back when, you should have gotten your copy of a written legal paper called a Judgement. Re-read it first to make sure you understand what it says. Then when you talk to the court, quote from the judgement. Do not expect to talk to the judge. You will get a clerk, and the clerk can circular file you if you brass them off. Hell hath no fury like a bureaucrat scorned. Be nice and polite.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Originally posted by disvet View Post
      Divorced in Maryland. Ex moved to MN with kids. Has lived there for several years now. One child turns 18 this year and the other child turns 18 the following year. Since we were divorced in Marlyand, how can I modify the CS support payment? Do I have to go through the MN court system and pay huge attorney fees? Can I go directly to DHS and start the process?

As per the court agreement, I pay her directly and I'm not nor have I ever fallen behind in payments.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
      If the order was never transferred to MN, everything should be done in MD.

Is the state CSE agency involved in your case?
      If they are, you can contact them and they will file the paperwork for a modification.
      If the CSE is not involved, you'll need to file for a modification yourself or hire an attorney to file.

As the other poster said, contact the court and CSE first before doing anything else.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X