Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cyjeff
    replied
    Your pay cannot be garnished unless a judge says so. Period.

I don't know why the court would have sent that to your boss before a ruling... my guess is that they prepared the paperwork in advance and someone jumped the gun.

Leave a comment:

• lday511
    replied
    Well that's the thing ,the judge didn't order it, that's why I was so confused, it was ordered by the prosecutor's office. I thought I had mentioned that part, that was one of the major things I was wondering about; how they could make that decision when there is a judge in the case and we both have legal representation. And neither my attorney or I knew of this before the order came to my employer. Because the judge had issued an additional $5 a week from when the child support was asked for, and when it was ordered (that was paid by the way) So I didn't understand why a judge would order only $5, but for a separate issue (my not paying during maternity leave) the prosecutor would make me pay $20 per week. I guess that's my mistake for not including that important detail.
    I just wish people wouldn't jump to the conclusion that I am a deadbeat and am not willing to take care of my child, because that is not the case. I was just having a hard time and got behind, and I have every intention of paying it back.

Leave a comment:

• cyjeff
    replied
    Originally posted by lday511 View Post
    Would they rather we lied to them to make them feel better only to have a judge laugh at them in open court?

No, I would rather someone have told me my options as far as paying back the arrearage. Instead of giving me their own personal opinions. I did have options, I was told by you guys that I didn't. I understand you don't make the laws, but don't act like you know the law, when you don't. Or make sure what you are telling someone is actually true.
    First, you tell us you have an order to pay.

That means that the court has already decided.

Then, you tell us you go to court and resolve to pay less.

If you had told us that a court date was pending to decide the amount, our answers would have been different. However, your initial post just told us that it had already been decided and your boss was being given a notice of garnishment.

We can only work with what you give us. You are correct, we do not know every nuance of your case... but you have to at least tell us whether a court decision has been made.

Leave a comment:

• lday511
    replied
    Would they rather we lied to them to make them feel better only to have a judge laugh at them in open court?

No, I would rather someone have told me my options as far as paying back the arrearage. Instead of giving me their own personal opinions. I did have options, I was told by you guys that I didn't. I understand you don't make the laws, but don't act like you know the law, when you don't. Or make sure what you are telling someone is actually true.

Leave a comment:

• cyjeff
    replied
    Originally posted by mommyof4 View Post
    Why is it that when a poster doesn't get the answer he/she wants, it suddenly becomes a huge "YOU DON'T KNOW ME and MY SITUATION" sob story.

Seriously, every time....

Nobody understands that we don't HAVE to know you to know that your primary obligation (both legally and morally) is to support the children you bring into this world. If you can't support them, don't have them. It's that simple.
    No kidding.

I realize that people come here with an agenda... but they need to realize that we don't make the laws or the system.

Fine.

Your educational expenses are more important than supporting your children. Your ex husband's lack of employment means that you can, legally, have him tarred and feathered and walked through your town on a railroad tie. In fact, you should take him to court to make him pay for your education.

Feel better?

For everyone else... the above quoted italized part is completely false and anyone that thinks courts work that way is an idiot.

Leave a comment:

• mommyof4
    replied
    Why is it that when a poster doesn't get the answer he/she wants, it suddenly becomes a huge "YOU DON'T KNOW ME and MY SITUATION" sob story.

Seriously, every time....

Nobody understands that we don't HAVE to know you to know that your primary obligation (both legally and morally) is to support the children you bring into this world. If you can't support them, don't have them. It's that simple.

Leave a comment:

• cyjeff
    replied
    Again with the PERSONAL OPINIONS! You don't know me, so YOU cannot tell ME why I am doing something! I am thinking about ALL of our futures by continuing my education. And you do not know all of the details of my situation, so again, please keep your opinions to yourself. Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Or do you just need someone to lecture?
    Maybe if I say it slower.

Your education is a luxury. Your motivation is not important.

A judge will not adjust your payments because you are paying tuition. Therefore, you need to adjust your tuition to fit your disposable income after payments are made.

Leave a comment:

• mommyof4
    replied
    Funny, because I am at work
    Good, now just up you hours to 10 more a week.

Leave a comment:

• lday511
    replied
    Funny, because I am at work

Leave a comment:

• mommyof4
    replied
    I can comment how I see fit. That's the beauty of a public forum.

It seems to me you could be using this time you spend on this board to be working.

Leave a comment:

• lday511
    replied
    Again with the PERSONAL OPINIONS! You don't know me, so YOU cannot tell ME why I am doing something! I am thinking about ALL of our futures by continuing my education. And you do not know all of the details of my situation, so again, please keep your opinions to yourself. Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Or do you just need someone to lecture?

Leave a comment:

• mommyof4
    replied
    No, you are going to school for YOU. If you want to better provide for your children, right NOW when they need it right NOW, you will go to work full time.

If you want to continue your schooling while you are working full time, that's great. It can be done, it has been done, and it will be done again. You have a computer. You can take online courses at night after you get home from working full time.

You want to go to school. You need to support your children. Just own that fact.

As you are already taking online courses, you have NO excuse not to get a full time job. NONE.

Leave a comment:

• lday511
    replied
    I'm getting really tired of explaining the same thing over and over.
    First of all, I am going to school for MY KIDS, to be able to provide for THEM better.
    Second, I am taking online courses which does not interfere with my time as far as going to a campus, I do all of my work at home.
    Third, explain to me how between 2 parents, we are supposed to work 3 jobs, and take care of our kids? There is only so much time in the day. As I said before, I am not going to spend money on daycare so I can work another job. Like I also said before, all of the extra money I made would go to daycare, and I would have no time to spend with my kids!
    You can think what you want of me, but I AM doing what I believe is best for my family. So you can keep your PERSONAL OPINIONS to yourself thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Helping Hand
    replied
    I'm sorry, but I don't feel bad for you at all. You say you can pay back $5.00 a week in arrears, what about when your child's father wasn't getting the CS, was that fair to him or your child. NO, it wasn't because I am sure like most of us he depends on his CS. I don't understand why someone is allowed to fall behind and only pay back $5.00 a week that is absurd. Do what you need to do to take care of your children, Get your priorities straight. I understand that you say you can make more money if you finish school, however, your kids are the ones who are suffering while you do what you need to do for YOU. We would all love the luxury of going to back school and getting better jobs, but in reality we need to bust our A**es at Two jobs if need be to support them NOW. You should be ashamed that you are only willing to pay back $5.00 a week, that child's needs should be more important to you than that. Unless you make $50.00 a week you should be able to pay more. Everytime you fall behind or pay and extra $5.00 a week, that is less money to be spent on your child. Sorry I hate to be a b*tch, but I know how hard it is to get by especially when your CS is late or in arrears. Cut back if you need to nails, clothes, hair, whatever you need to to be able to pay what you have to.

Leave a comment:

• lday511
    replied
    I don't know how I changed my story, and the only thing that I am saying was wrong, was being told that I had no option but to pay the $20/week. That it not true. I was told by several people I asked that I could go to the child support division to speak with the caseworker and she would work with me; which she did. Now that was helpful advice, and one of you did say I could do that as well; she knows what she is talking about. Instead, everyone else just automatically assumes that I don't want to support my child or I am not going to pay the money, or whatever else was said. And I can't afford lawyers fees, that's why I can't go to court for every issue. But I do work for an attorney, so he does give me helpful advice at times.
    And yes, $80 more a month is a lot of money when you don't make that much in the first place.
    Last edited by lday511; 01-24-2008, 09:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X