No announcement yet.

calculation arrears Indiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Further, you don't seem to understand that you don't get the luxury of choosing how and when you will pay your past due child support. Your child(ren) don't have the luxury of waiting for you to finish school or waiting on your tax return for the support you owe that helps provide for basic necessities.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Comment

re

I guess I should have never turned to this website for help in the first place. The only thing that I have gotten is people passing judgment on me and acting like I don't take care of my children.
      I am very surprised at how NONE of you can read as well! I don't know why I have to keep explaining the fact that I don't want her to support my child. I want HIS FATHER to get the job that he is capable of having! But nobody sems to read that part or something!
      And you don't even know what you were talking about anyway; because I went down to the child support division, met with the caseworker, explained my situation, and got the $20 extra a week reduced to $5 extra per week. And whatever is left to pay off when my taxes get processed, will get taken out of my taxes.
      Also, again, quiting school would not be in anyone's best interest, getting a degree will help me to make much more money. And what and I supposed to get a second job and pay someone to watch my kids? That would be pointless, as expensive as daycare is, I would be working a second job just to send my kids daycare, there would be no extra money! Their father watches them during the day when I work; but he has to work too.
      So thank all of you so very much for your criticism and judgments; and that's about it.

Comment

and got the $20 extra a week reduced to $5 extra per week. And whatever is left to pay off when my taxes get processed, will get taken out of my taxes.
        If that is true (which I doubt, but oh well) then that was a very nice caseworker working some magic to help you out.

You have NO RIGHT to dictate how or when your arrearage will be paid. You may be able to work out a deal, but that doesn't mean that there is ANY obligation to cede to your wishes.

Since you are struggling to support your children NOW, the argument can easily be made that you need to get your behind to work FULL TIME. If you can do that while still attending school, good for you, good luck, and I wish you the best. However, putting your completely voluntary attendance at your local college before making sure your children are cared for (without complaining that and extra $80/month is just too steep for you to survive) is less than what a mother does to provide for her children. You don't seem to grasp that when you had children, your luxury of choosing what you want to do when went out the window.

In answer to your sarcastic question, you take those extra hours you are spending at school and go work at a gas station if you have to.

What do you do with your kids NOW?
        Last edited by mommyof4; 01-23-2008, 03:32 PM.
        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
        (unique up on him)
        (same way)

Comment

First... whether or not he has a job currently, the court look into what he COULD be making and adjust the CS accordingly.

In other words, it makes no difference what he actually IS making because CS is calculated upon what he COULD be making.

Which is also why you were required to pay child support when you were on medical leave.

You still haven't answered the question of your boyfriend's support for your children. I would imagine that would take some of the sting out of the order... which, to agree with mommyof4, is perfectly within guidelines.

If your ex would get divorced tomorrow and the new wife stopped supporting him, he would still be thought to be making the same amount he COULD make and, therefore, your payments wouldn't change a dime.

There are pluses and minuses to the system. You have just been hit with minuses.

Lastly.... if you came to this site looking for a bunch of people that would give you lots of hugs and smooches because you don't have enough money to both care for your children and do what you want, you definately came to the wrong place.

The law is blind to such nuances of life. No judge will put your education above a court ordered CS payment. Therefore, neither should you.
          Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

replying once again!

I was not looking for "hugs and smooches" or whatever you are saying, I was looking for some helpful advice, which I did not get. I was looking for suggestions.
            And every person/attorney I spoke with said that it is very common to get an order of only $5 extra per week to pay back an arrearage. There are some people who only pay $1 or $2 extra! As long as you show them that you are willing to pay, they will work with you. I didn't even have to ask for that amount, I just told her that $20 was too high, and she asked if I could afford $5.
            Obviously some of you are not as familiar with the law as you claim.

And I posted in my last reply, that my other sons father does take care of them when I work, we work opposite shifts so we don't have to spend $ on daycare, but like I also said before, he has to work too.
            Also, I know that the Court SHOULD be calculating the support at what he COULD be making, that is my point, they are not! They are calculating his income at minimum wage ($5.85 in IN) at 40 hours per week, he COULD be making much more than that.
            Last edited by lday511; 01-24-2008, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Then you need to change your lawyer.

As to the amount, no one here said anything other than you pay what the court tells you to. The amount you originally quoted is within the payment guidelines.

Now you are changing your story so you can say we didn't know better?

We can play that game all day... you know, the one where you keep changing details of your story until you are right and we are wrong.

Fine. You win. You may ask for a refund of all the monies you paid on your way out.
              Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

I'm just wondering how you can afford an atty's fees if you can't afford to pay and extr $20/week for the next 7 weeks to catch up on your child support.
                HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                (unique up on him)
                (same way)

Comment

I don't know how I changed my story, and the only thing that I am saying was wrong, was being told that I had no option but to pay the $20/week. That it not true. I was told by several people I asked that I could go to the child support division to speak with the caseworker and she would work with me; which she did. Now that was helpful advice, and one of you did say I could do that as well; she knows what she is talking about. Instead, everyone else just automatically assumes that I don't want to support my child or I am not going to pay the money, or whatever else was said. And I can't afford lawyers fees, that's why I can't go to court for every issue. But I do work for an attorney, so he does give me helpful advice at times.
                  And yes, $80 more a month is a lot of money when you don't make that much in the first place.
                  Last edited by lday511; 01-24-2008, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I'm sorry, but I don't feel bad for you at all. You say you can pay back $5.00 a week in arrears, what about when your child's father wasn't getting the CS, was that fair to him or your child. NO, it wasn't because I am sure like most of us he depends on his CS. I don't understand why someone is allowed to fall behind and only pay back $5.00 a week that is absurd. Do what you need to do to take care of your children, Get your priorities straight. I understand that you say you can make more money if you finish school, however, your kids are the ones who are suffering while you do what you need to do for YOU. We would all love the luxury of going to back school and getting better jobs, but in reality we need to bust our A**es at Two jobs if need be to support them NOW. You should be ashamed that you are only willing to pay back $5.00 a week, that child's needs should be more important to you than that. Unless you make $50.00 a week you should be able to pay more. Everytime you fall behind or pay and extra $5.00 a week, that is less money to be spent on your child. Sorry I hate to be a b*tch, but I know how hard it is to get by especially when your CS is late or in arrears. Cut back if you need to nails, clothes, hair, whatever you need to to be able to pay what you have to.

Comment

I'm getting really tired of explaining the same thing over and over.
                      First of all, I am going to school for MY KIDS, to be able to provide for THEM better.
                      Second, I am taking online courses which does not interfere with my time as far as going to a campus, I do all of my work at home.
                      Third, explain to me how between 2 parents, we are supposed to work 3 jobs, and take care of our kids? There is only so much time in the day. As I said before, I am not going to spend money on daycare so I can work another job. Like I also said before, all of the extra money I made would go to daycare, and I would have no time to spend with my kids!
                      You can think what you want of me, but I AM doing what I believe is best for my family. So you can keep your PERSONAL OPINIONS to yourself thank you.

Comment

No, you are going to school for YOU. If you want to better provide for your children, right NOW when they need it right NOW, you will go to work full time.

If you want to continue your schooling while you are working full time, that's great. It can be done, it has been done, and it will be done again. You have a computer. You can take online courses at night after you get home from working full time.

You want to go to school. You need to support your children. Just own that fact.

As you are already taking online courses, you have NO excuse not to get a full time job. NONE.
                        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                        (unique up on him)
                        (same way)

Comment

Again with the PERSONAL OPINIONS! You don't know me, so YOU cannot tell ME why I am doing something! I am thinking about ALL of our futures by continuing my education. And you do not know all of the details of my situation, so again, please keep your opinions to yourself. Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Or do you just need someone to lecture?

Comment

I can comment how I see fit. That's the beauty of a public forum.

It seems to me you could be using this time you spend on this board to be working.
                            HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                            (unique up on him)
                            (same way)

Comment

Funny, because I am at work

Comment

Originally posted by lday511 View Post
                                Funny, because I am at work
                                Good, now just up you hours to 10 more a week.
                                HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                                (unique up on him)
                                (same way)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                                Working...
                                X