Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Filing for Child Support Iowa

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Filing for Child Support Iowa

    My sister-in-law had a child 16 years ago and has been receiving support very sporadically. She did not marry the father. The money comes either by personal check or money order. I can't believe she lets him get away with it. However, I think maybe she did not file when the child was born. Probably because support from her previous marriage was always timely, never a problem and I assume a part of the divorce decree. My question is, can she go NOW 16 years later and file? I am assuming she never did for some unknown reason, I 've not been given the whole story. If so, can she sue for back support or does it start at the time of filing? I know the majority of cases are at the start of filing, but better late than never I suppose. Does it matter that the father is in California? Thanks in advance for any replies.
The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.