revision in child support New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• revision in child support New York

My 16 year old son has come to live with me and my 18 year old daughter still lives with her mother. I currently pay support to the children's mother for both. Can someone help give me direction on how I can get this modified and also with 2 children does support continue to be paid to the mother if one child is with each parent. Thank you

I may not have been clear on my question. Now that one child lives with each of the parents, how does child support work? It would seem as though my obligation would be lessen as I now have my son with me. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Reggie44; 12-31-2006, 04:56 AM. Reason: additional information

Originally posted by Reggie44 View Post
    My 16 year old son has come to live with me and my 18 year old daughter still lives with her mother. I currently pay support to the children's mother for both. Can someone help give me direction on how I can get this modified and also with 2 children does support continue to be paid to the mother if one child is with each parent. Thank you
    age of emancipation in new york is 21 yrs. old.....you could have the mom stop the order if not then you have to get custody of your son and then have it dropped....

Comment

Originally posted by jim_bo
      Doesn't New York consider 18 to be an adult? Does your order say you have to pay after 18?

If your 16 year old daughter came to live with you, you need to file for a change of custody. Then, you can get a child support order of your own.

Jimbo
      NY requires support after 18 by default, I think up until 21 if they go to college. You would have to prove the 18 year old is self supporting. But a modification is defenitely in order for this poster. He will just need to file with the county where the order is issued.

Comment

check out these websites divorcenet.com (it can give you child support faq's) and childsupportsavings.com.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X