Do I get child support Massachusetts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I get child support Massachusetts

I have a child and me and her father are no longer together. He comes by everyday to see our child for a couple of hours. I live in MA in he lives in CT about 40 minutes away. He makes more than I do. I made 37,000 and he made 67,000 last year. I live in a one bedroom and want to move to a 2 bedroom. If I filed for child support would I get something? What happens if he filed for joint custody would he get it and would I still be able to get child support? Should he at least help with some of the housing expenses.
    Last edited by fem6522; 12-09-2006, 04:10 PM.

Originally posted by fem6522 View Post
    I have a child and me and her father are no longer together. He comes by everyday to see our child for a couple of hours. I live in MA in he lives in CT about 40 minutes away. He makes more than I do. I made 37,000 and he made 67,000 last year. I live in a one bedroom and want to move to a 2 bedroom. If I filed for child support would I get something? What happens if he filed for joint custody would he get it and would I still be able to get child support? He does get things for our child but I wanted something steady. I am not money hungry but shouldn't he at least have to help me pay for my increase in rent once I do move?
    You have every legal right to file for CS, and your child deserves to be supported by both parents, so file ASAP.

The CS will be determined according to your state's CS guidelines. No, he doesn't have to help you pay for YOUR increase in rent. What he will have to do though is to pay a set CS amount, with which you can pay rent for your child.

Comment

thanks for the response

but... if he files for joint custody would I still get CS and he does see her everyday?
      Last edited by fem6522; 12-09-2006, 04:13 PM.

Comment

but... if he files for joint custody would I still get CS and he does see her everyday?
        Most likely yes. Even though you earn more than him it would have to be an even 50/50 custody before a court can even begin to think about ordering no CS at all.

Comment

thankx

actually he makes more than I do.

Comment

actually he makes more than I do.
            Ooops, sorry, I misread your post. In that case, even with 50/50 you would most likely get some CS.

Comment

hello

Thank you so much for your responses. Just curious..... where do you get your information from?

Comment

Thank you so much for your responses. Just curious..... where do you get your information from?
                I've been researching family laws for the last 6 yrs. I started out doing research for my hubby and now I do it to help other's know thier rights. I've also sat in on some court sessions and enrolled to become a guardian ad litem, but became ill and couldn't do it.

Comment

Thank you xena

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X